Did you mean: 

Very poor customer service...and still no solution

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: Very poor customer service...and still no solution

Maurice,
Do not disagree with the tenant of what you say, however if BTOR do not provide that capability within their systems for CPs to provide facilities to their users, then their hands are tied.  If I were running an operation, I would not want to pick up the cost of my supplier's failures - the cost of call diversion should be covered by BTOR under commercial agreement.
This is though easy to manage as there are facilities for the CP to set up call divert.
What does not exist AFAICT is the means to manage the 1571 service in the event of the phone line being down.  It is a need and it is not facilitated by BTOR and thus CPs cannot offer it. There needs to be a change in service facilitation.
As for "PlusNET choosing to subcontract the service to BTOR" that is a bit hollow - we both know they have no option - which is exactly what is wrong with the UK telecoms industry.  BTOR still behave as though they were the GPO - no obligations - answerable to no one.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ostrercarey
Dabbler

The suggestions by Townman, louialive, Maurice C and Andy H (above)  are very helpful, and surely should be done, one way or the other!  Thank you all for your insights and contributions.  I am stunned and sorry that the difficulty of there being no alternative message to alert callers has been an issue for so many years.  It's very difficult for PN customers.  Leaarning from this experience it is something that I will be considering when I re-new (or not) my contract with PN.
Also, if PN customers do happen to have a mobile, they will be funding a fault that is not theirs by having to make calls from the mobile at considerable cost, without compensation.  Unfair.
Matty:  In the light of PN being unable to place a message saying the line is out of order, withdrawing the answerphone message would be better than leaving it as it is, and I would like that done please.  With respect, things like this should be done immediately and automatically when there is a fault, or the offer made to divert calls.  Its difficult to understand why this can not be done.
Regarding the arrangement made to refund my charges, I have just received notification of this today, I have requested information about what will be refunded because the Customer Service message doesn't make that clear, I hope that it means all charges debited from my account for each day since I reported the fault, to the day that it will be repaired and I am re-connected.  I understand that  a discussion is taking place regarding road closure on 6/11, the engineers will  try to fix when they can get access, and I hope for the best!
Being a bit short of funds ATM, I will none-the-less have to fund a basic emergency mobile phone myself, and then hope for a refund of charges as soon as possible.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Just to be crystal clear, it is not so much a matter that PN cannot do these sensible things, but a matter that BT Wholesale do not provide means of administering the phone answering service.  PlusNET are no more than a reseller of BT wholesale / Openreach telephony services.  Other than in areas where Virgin Media operates, there is no alternative supplier.
It's somewhat similar to electricity supply - you can buy it from whomever, but the supply line is provided by a single third party.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ostrercarey,
With regards to the refund it's been processed for £14.69 which covers 21 days (so far) since the fault was reported (14/10/2014) for your Line Rental and call package. This should be refunded back into your bank account in the next 7-10 days, depending on your bank.
I hope that it means all charges debited from my account for each day since I reported the fault, to the day that it will be repaired and I am re-connected.

You will be refunded for your Line Rental and call package for every day until the fault has been resolved. As we don't know when this will be yet, under normal circumstances we wouldn't refund until the fault has been resolved for this reason, however, in this instance I've processed the partial refund to aid you in buying a temporary mobile phone.
ostrercarey
Dabbler

Hello LynnK
Thank you for the information.  This has been extremely difficult as you can imagine!  But I will have to take the straight refund as you out lined it.  I have now bought an emergency mobile phone, the refund does not cover the cost, but what can I do....
I was asked by Matty if I wanted the answerphone message withdrawn whilst the cable fault affecting my line was still ongoing.  I said that yes it would be more helpful than leaving it as it is. Really it should say that the line is out of order!  However the answerphone message for callers to my line still says that I am on the phone.  Please can you arrange for this to be withdrawn temporarily? As per Matty's suggestion a few days ago on this thread?
Brightspark - thank you for your help,  I understand now.  This is madness!!  It never happened like this under BT before, when it was sole supplier,  I'm nearly 60 so have had a few years experience before this so called greater choice...!  Having to be out of contact with people for this long, is not at all good.  Keep up the good work! and thanks again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
You are welcome - we are of a similar age.
I think what is more to the point in days of old before choice is that BT offered phone services were poor and limited without bells and whistles.  Services such as 1571 did not exist, though PlusNet's provision of that service switched on by default is a bit different to the norm.
Whatever where the service is "remote" if the line over which it is provided is down and there is no remote administration facility, then we are all stuffed!
Kevin

ostrercarey
Dabbler

Hi Kevin,,yes we are all stuffed!! so there is no "choice".  Right now I could do with less bells and whistles and more straightforward provision of basic service, and far better customer support (which I agree was not as good as it should have have been under BT)  .  What I have learned by this experience that you dont throw the baby out with the bathwater,  if you know what I mean..  This is maddness, and the sales speak is confusing, with bells and whistles or whatever!!  I shouln't have had to come to a public forum to get the help I need,  and yet it has been the only way that I have understood what was going on, and that I have had response from people like LynnK and Matty regarding the fault and return of monies I have paid.  Now I consider this better custom support that Customer Support!!  As I said, madness!  But thank you Kevin!
LynnK or Matty:  Customer support wrote that they would update me re the cable fault on 15/11/14  - no update, no phoneline. Please help!
ostrercarey
Dabbler

LynnK or Matty,
Hello, both of you have responded to my postson this issue therefore I am addressing this post to you both. 
I posted yesterday at apprx 11am and no reply as yet.  I still have no phone line, Help and Support said that they would update me on 16/11/14.  I find it pointless now, to email them further.  (I said 15th yesterday so this is correction.)  I have no update and no phoneline.  I am also confused by the recent refund that was made on 14/11/14 of £14.96, I would like explanation.  My bill is itemised as
1 Unlimited (Contracted) - Market 2/3 charge 08/11/2014 07/12/2014 £9.99
1 Talk Anytime charge     08/11/2014                               07/12/2014  £15.99
1 Call Plan charge           08/11/2014                               07/12/2014    £5.00
1 Special Offer Discount - - -                                                              £7.49 
Total:  £23.49
Can you please explain the difference in charges and refund made, point by point please.  I am confused.  14/11/14 was exactly 1 month since I reported the fault, though I first noticed it on 12/10/14 your web site asked me to test with a corded phone, and I had to get hold of one to do this, I bought a handset.  14/10/14 i def knew it was not a handset problem and reported it.  To be clear, I bought a corded hand set, an emergency mobile phone and I had my Direct Debits taken in October and November, and I only get a refund of £14.96.  I get no service and no update.  Now I want you to give me an update, a breakdown of the refund, and my Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) so that I can change supplier as soon as the line is repaired.  This whole business is completely unacceptable to me.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've just had a look over your account and we've received notification today that the fault is resolved. One of my colleagues called your landline and left a voicemail. Can you let us know if you're still having issues as from what we can see the service is working again now.
The refund Linn provided was for the loss of phone service from when the fault was reported up until that point, I can see that she had agreed to refund the remaining days where the fault was present once we'd resolved the issue. That's for a further 16 days, so I'll sort that out now for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ostrercarey
Dabbler

Please also supply to my email address or on your other online communications form that Help and Support operate my MAC reference as requested.  A package has been opffered to me which is better,  I carphone a certain amount of mobiles withinn the package, and the monthly charge is less.  After all this, I need to try another company unless you can offer me a far better deal.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Having just come across this thread, I have seen several bits of information in it that are misleading, or just plain wrong.
But first a clarification.
@ostrercarey
Whilst Plusnet failing to respond with updates is unacceptable - have you checked your open fault ticket to see if there was any updates on it, you may also find on it, or another ticket (possibly closed) more information about your refund.
In terms of Mobile phones services there are plenty of PAYG services that only cost 8p or less per minute, and one as low as 3p per minute but that would require a more expensive phone.
There are many basic mobile phones out there that you can get for less than £10 simply by putting a £10 top-up on one of the available networks. As you seemed to indicate in an earlier post that you didn't really want a mobile phone, and that it's only because of emergencies then you may wish to consider these type of options. None of which are tied to any contract! In virtually all cases on PAYG all you have to do is have a chargeable event every 180 days, or 90 days with one particular provider that I wouldn't recommend, to keep your service/number active.
Depending on your location and the common locations where you might want to use a mobile phone, I would first check what network signals might be available in such areas. Do not rely on sales pater from someone in a shop. There are independent sites such as OFCOM (& others) as well as the major network providers whose websites will indicate coverage in a particular area, and bear in mind reception inside is usually poorer than outside.
Now whilst any lack of update from Plusnet is not acceptable, it's not their doing regarding the delays in repair, and the issues with which were explained earlier in this thread. But in case you weren't aware, it's not Plusnet who have to dig up the road and repair the cable , it's BT Openreach. Every Communications Provider and ISP has to rely on BT Openreach for the lines from the exchange with the exception of Virgin Media Cable who have their own, in selected areas. So possibly apart from any "deal" and the ££ you won't necessarily be in a better position.
Also bearing in mind the extract of the bill posted above, I'm sure Plusnet will in any event ensure you are refunded for the relevant periods of no service and whatever other else they agree with you. But bear in mind if your Broadband is under contract still, then you will have cancellation fees as well, to offset against the cost of your "deal", so the "deal" might not be so good - especially if it ties you in with a mobile contract as well.
Quote from: Townman
........ however if BTOR do not provide that capability within their systems for CPs to provide facilities to their users, then their hands are tied.  If I were running an operation, I would not want to pick up the cost of my supplier's failures - the cost of call diversion should be covered by BTOR under commercial agreement.
This is though easy to manage as there are facilities for the CP to set up call divert.
What does not exist AFAICT is the means to manage the 1571 service in the event of the phone line being down.  It is a need and it is not facilitated by BTOR and thus CPs cannot offer it. There needs to be a change in service facilitation. .........

I really don't know what you are on about here. Call Divert is a standard facility available on all BT WLR packages. 1571 is also a standard service (which I personally wouldn't have turned on or touch with a barge pole - but that's another matter). It is a very simple matter for any CP to contact BT OR and get call divert put in place, and to get a 1571 service turned off or on if required. It wouldn't actually be to difficult to have it left on with an EU's customised message if the EU preferred.
Unlike BT Retail, Plusnet do not offer Call Divert as a standard FOC service, but that hasn't stopped them from providing it FOC in individual cases where justified.
Plusnet have been asked to consider this being provided FOC as standard many times, but in any event they perhaps need to review procedures such that in cases where there is likely to be a protracted fault they check with the EU whether they want the 1571 service on or off and/or with a customised message.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@ostrercarey
Sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. To get your MAC, or just to discuss what offers we can make you'd need to call our cancellations department (also known as customer options). They can be reached on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 between 9am-8pm Mon-Fri and 9am-5.30pm Saturday.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.