Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well done plusnet,as well...... !

Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Well done plusnet,as well...... !

Ok,found it,I'm on Ch 1 and its set to Auto.I'll leave it for tonight.And have another look tomorrow,er I mean today.
Guess I just change it to manual and try any  number,between 2-11.?    Thanks again,Night.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Trying 1, 6 or 11 is generally best to avoid interference from other routers.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

these are my local, I am on Chan one, not seen that occupied by any one else before, normally have several on chan 6 as well.
Oupput form Inssider.exe a free program
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Well,I had another session inside the Router this afternoon.Went from auto,to man.tried about 4 different freqs ,it was on 1,so I tried 4 6-7 & 11....................not a scrap of difference,so has Paulpicks suggested I'd guess,it s down to the fact,its a relativly old/inefficent wireless card.Ive put it back on Auto and will leave it for now.I must admit,I can't see a hell of alot of difference,surfing the web etc,at 3Mbs via wireless or about 5.5 Mbs via cable.
Howver,Ive made one other stepforward today.Aside from this Laptop,I also have a couple of elderly PCs.They are so ancient,they don't have ethernet connecters. About a week back,fitted a network card to one PC.At first coudln't get it to "see" the damm thing.Anyway,faffed around abit,and today got it working.  The Idea is,that until I get some newer stuff,this PC,will act as a backup to the Laptop,especially if it "dies".
So I intend to connect the Router to it via a cable. Now comes the$64,000 question. Given,that this machine has Win 98 (!!) It has A/V and anti spyware etc....................how "dangerous" isit,to connect to a broadband  router,which does have afirewall,but the machine doesn't. I await your replies with interest !! Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

halfway there but not 100%, PN also use a firewall so could be sufficient
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Ok,suppose I could use Zone alarm,think that  may be useable with 98,though may,hog resources,so Ive read ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from memory, dont think it will wotk with 98
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

I helped a friend of mine install an older version of Zone Alarm on their '98 machine recently. Try here:
http://www.oldversion.com/ZoneAlarm.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Ok,thanks for link................after more faffingabout,finally got old machine into Plusnets router..and now able to use it on net.
As I think I said,its mainly as a backup,in case this Laptop blowsup !  But its so slow,the PC I mean,that I wonder if its spec is below min specs for getting video,viz BBC or Utube,'cause It trys,then gives up !!!  The processor is only 500Mhz.............and I wonder if thats just too slow for "modern" video.2-3 years ago,I can recall waiting 30 mins or so,to download a 2-3 min video on Utube,think they have uprated their minimum spec now ?