cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to Plusnet's previously good service??

tillydaff
Grafter

Re: What has happened to Plusnet's previously good service??

Thanks Chris, connection dropped again half an hour or so again, and has been bumping along under 100 kbps for the last few mins. Still perfectly calm outside ...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there any noise on the phone (dial 17070 option 2 for the quiet line test)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've booked an engineer for tomorrow 25th 8am - 1pm.
Apologies for yesterday it seems the engineers previous jobs had overrun. Let me know how tomorrow goes.
It would also be worth checking what jelv has mentioned above although from the testing we've done we can't see any phone fault.
tillydaff
Grafter

uh oh ... no sign of BT engineer yet ... don't they usually phone if they're going to be late?
broadband been at creep speed or non-existent since 4 pm yesterday  Sad
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm just chasing this up now.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone, as discussed I've arranged a phone engineer to attend on the 31st 8am -1pm to get this finally resolved for you.
I'll keep an eye on the appointment too.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Thread title... You might consider changing it, to be half reasonable to PN
I cannot discern poor service from PN itself here, rather the poor service relates to the all too common failure by BTOR to apply change requests made by PN and their repeated failure to honour appointments made with PN.
The thread is short on stats, however given the descriptions and 15dB target SNRM this has all the hallmarks of a line with bad joints and possibly aluminium in the circuit.  This is likely to need a really dedicated BTOR engineer to fix - some might say this is speculation, but you might be on a long journey here through no fault of PN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to let you know that your phone engineer is due tomorrow between 8am - 1pm, please let me know how you get on.
tillydaff
Grafter

Hi Chris, AT LAST! An improvement in our line speed! We've had virtually no access to broadband for the past several days and when it did run it rarely reached even 100kbps so was unusable.
However, the BT engineer came out at 10 am this morning (from Carnoustie - a 2 hour drive!) and has replaced a section of copper wire which he says was causing the fault due to a previous engineer's dodgy work. Something to do with going from 4 wires to two, so no backup when the two went faulty? I do remember an engineer a few months ago talking about bypassing a fault on the line to get it working again so might have been him.  We're due some wet weather this afternoon, so let's hope the fault doesn't re-appear when the rain comes.
Anyway, current broadband speed is 1.96 Mbps, IP profile still set to 2 Mbps. DSL around 3 Mbps.
Are you able to bump up the IP limit to see if we can get the speed up a bit higher?
I just read a post on this forum about BT Openreach paying Plusnet £45 per missed appointment by their engineers. Is that passed to the customer? We had two missed appointments last week, and had to hang around for 5 hours each time unable to get on with our work!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I've just performed a reset on your line which should retrain fresh everything on our suppliers systems. The speed profile set on our system is set absolutely fine so the reset should sort everything out for you.
Edit: Commenting on Openreach missed visits
As we mentioned on the other thread, we deal with these issues on a case by case basis. I would advise adding further notes surrounding this to your support ticket so that our Support Team can advise you accordingly.
tillydaff
Grafter

Hi Chris,
After the line reset on Thurs, the DSL was 4.7 mbps, IP profile 4 Mbps, downstream speed 3.9 Mbps.
At 4.30 pm it had dropped to 4.1, 3.5 and 3.4 Mbps respectively.
Friday morning it had dropped to 4.3, 2.5 and 2.4 Mbps.
Saturday afternoon Router lost synchronization at 3.30 pm and 4.10 pm during very wet and windy squalls, and the speeds dropped to 2.7, 2.0 and 1.9 Mbps respectively.
So after 3 days we're back to where we were before the line reset.