cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What package should I be on?

flodden
Grafter

Re: What package should I be on?

Phoned Customer Options, told no further TV deal dates set yet for Plusnet unfortunately. Offered 2.75 per month unlimited broadband for 12 months as per web site if bundle with phone (although i had to mention the Line Rental Saver deal option), but I know if you go via GoCompare you can get 1.99 a month but only if new customer to Plusnet and told i couldnt have that. I dont like that a new customer can get a better deal than an existing customer of 9 years like myself. Banks also use this tactic and it just backfires making existing customer leave to get a better deal as a new customer elsewhere. Never understood the logic in it. Also noticed if i log into my account and want to switch online via Plusnet web site im not offered any deals just standard rates.
I have asked for my MAC key (which takes over 24hrs to be sent!) so im in position to leave. Also just found out BT owns Plusnet as of 2007!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

flodden,
I'm sorry that you're thinking of leaving us and that the offer our Customer Options Team haven't been able to offer you a deal which suits.
Your MAC Code should be with you within the next 24 hours - if there is anything we can do to help in the meantime though, please do let us know.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: flodden
Phoned Customer Options, told no further TV deal dates set yet for Plusnet unfortunately. Offered 2.75 per month unlimited broadband for 12 months as per web site if bundle with phone (although i had to mention the Line Rental Saver deal option), but I know if you go via GoCompare you can get 1.99 a month but only if new customer to Plusnet and told i couldnt have that. I dont like that a new customer can get a better deal than an existing customer of 9 years like myself. Banks also use this tactic and it just backfires making existing customer leave to get a better deal as a new customer elsewhere. Never understood the logic in it. Also noticed if i log into my account and want to switch online via Plusnet web site im not offered any deals just standard rates.
I have asked for my MAC key (which takes over 24hrs to be sent!) so im in position to leave. Also just found out BT owns Plusnet as of 2007!

You're kidding me, REALLY... you think you'll be able to find anyone with a better deal with £2.75 a month for unlimited broadband?
Yes PN is owned by BT Group, Trust me I would NEVER EVER used BT however as PN is operated separately you don't get the shocking service BT give.
I do think you're making a mistake not taking up on the PN offers available, but that is your choice.
flodden
Grafter

You seem to be very very pro-Plusnet, and dont explain why you are so anti-BT, but there are plenty of people on this forum complaining about Plusnet's service so it swings in roundabouts.
I've never had a problem with BT when it comes to the phone (but did have issues with Talk Talk when i switched to them for a short time many years ago). BT also answer the phone quicker than Plusnet. Ive always been a Plusnet internet user and have never had any major issues other than Net going down every now and then or slowish speeds, but dont know if i can lay the blame entirely at them. I think all big companies have issues. Ive been on an uncompetitive internet rate from Plusnet, as i haven't switched my phone over.  I know that switching billing systems can be a nightmare, so dont want to do it very often. I feel switching ISP is easier than switching phone. BT have the TV deal thats the attraction. To buy one of those YouView boxes on its own (outwith a broadband provider) costs near to 200 quid and you dont get BT Sport. Plusnet are behind the game when it comes to TV. With Top Up Tv going down they have missed an opportunity to take some of those customers, like myself.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Okay, let me explain it fully then......
I was with BT for years and years growing up (I dealt with it all on behalf of my mother) and it was the most appalling service I have ever received, we had issues with them from day one with the broadband and phone lines, noise on the line, slower than advertised speeds etc and basically they did nothing about it. The customer services then by an accident over charged my brother over £200 which took almost six months for them to return.
At this time I vowed NEVER to use BT again.
I moved up to Scotland and took over my (then GF, now Wifes) ADSL contract with Orange, I used a lot of bandwidth but it was an unlimited package. HOWEVER, this was when FUP was all the rage so we got nerfed on our speeds and threatened with extra charges so I hunted for a new ISP.
This was 2005 and I joined up with PN for phones and broadband, three things stuck out for me with them when I signed up.
- Truely unlimited broadband (however traffic management is implemented, I didn't mind this)
- Local (UK based call centres)
- 24 hour support
Back then, hardly anyone offered these features and I signed up straight away, I stayed with them till I moved down south in 2012, Six-seven years of PERFECT service. I had problems occasionally (due to living on an island on the coast of Scotland) and even called them at 03:00am, got through straight away and got great support.
Once I moved down here I was with Sky for 18 months, It was good but when I moved house they messed up badly so now as Plusnet were offering Ulimited fibre again I joined up with them once again... That was back mid October.
So I had lots of problems wiht my Install (read my posts) However they would've happened whether I was with Plus.net or not as it was BT Openreach faults. I feel that Plus.net handled the issues perfectly and tried their hardest to fix the problems (and they did) I don't believe other ISP's (especially BT Retail) would've fixed the issues as promptly or even helped me as much.
So yes, Plus.net at present do have call wait time issues, They don't even deny it. but they are opening a second call centre and are trying there hardest to fix these issues.
If you look at the complaints around here, I would say the majority actually stem from BTOR problems and not PN directly. However PN are the ones in the firing lines for it.
flodden
Grafter

Sounds like you had a particularly bad experience with BT, but I have not had this in terms of phone, and never used them for internet. You did leave Plusnet to go to Sky, why was that?
gnicholson8
Grafter

At the time, when I moved I was unable to get Fibre Unlimited in my area with PN (wasn't available) but Sky could. (never worked out why that was)
flodden
Grafter

BT have said if I move to Plusnet they will disconnect my phone line completely on 27 Dec (as requires 28 days cancellation to avoid cancel charges). How quickly can Plusnet reconnect the line for phone and ADSL broadband usage, given this will be in the Christmas holiday period?
A lot of the problems on here seem to stem from this type of thing, and the blame is being put on BT Open Reach engineers, will this be the case in this instance? Given BT are putting their prices up in Jan i guess quite a few people wil be moving. Is it worth going potentially weeks without phone and internet in order to move provider?
flodden
Grafter

30min wait time when phone up Plusnet to ask about this or to ask about switching my phone over from BT, so i think this may answer my question. Can imagine trying to phone up Plusnet over Christmas New Year period trying to chase up getting phone and internet re-connected via my mobile phone and getting charged for 30min wait!
When I phoned BT to ask about cancelling my phone they answered really quick.
James
Grafter

Flodden,
A phone transfer takes 2 weeks to complete.  These are the most trouble free of orders and it's really just a change in ownership of your line, nothing physical needs to happen.
flodden
Grafter

This is not a straight transfer though, BT will actually disconnect the line because im in a contract with them but because they have put their prices up im able to cancel mid-contract without usual cancellation fee. So the 2 weeks you mention would be from the time they disconnect on 27 Dec or from the time I phone the order in to Plusnet? I can't leave them until 27 Dec if i cancel now, so when would i phone order into Plusnet?
dick:quote
James
Grafter

Ask them not to disconnect you and then place an order with us.
We'll then have your phone line transferred after a couple of weeks.
flodden
Grafter

So basically 2 weeks without phone and internet over Christmas/NY period!!
James
Grafter

No - You're completely misunderstanding me.
You are entitled to leave for another provider free of charge because of the price increase.  They *DO NOT* have to remove your service.
You are free to move to another service provider and the move to us should be seamless.
flodden
Grafter

BT have told me I need to give 28 days notice of leaving in order to avoid cancellation fee and they will remove the service on that date. They have said they cannot do a transfer because i am leaving mid-contract even though this is due to notification of the price increase. Im allowed to leave without cancellation charges within 10 days of receipt of notification of the price increase. They say if i transfer I incur the cancellation fee, i can only avoid the fee by cancelling the service completely. The cancel fee is about £55.