cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife Can't Report Fault as not authorised!

Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Wife Can't Report Fault as not authorised!

Quote from: jelv
You are not allowed to post names - even though they are given on the web page you've linked.

Why on earth not?  They are the management team of Plusnet who get paid the big bucks so why should they be allowed to hide behind the "caught in the headlights" call centre workers who just do as they are told and never question management policy decisions, no matter how mad, bad, crazy or thoroughly unreasonable they may be.
If I started publishing their home addresses and home phone numbers (which I don't in any case have) then it would be quite reasonable for them to be removed.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Capvermell
Then he should surely be on our side

We don't take sides and have to remain impartial.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
We don't take sides and have to remain impartial.

You presumably mean impartial to the clearly biased Plusnet management written rules that the names of their own directors cannot appear in the forums?
Anyway quite clearly that aspect of the rules was written to protect ordinary private individuals posting in the forum from having their identities revealed and not to stop customers knowing the names of the Directors of Plusnet.  So I would submit that the forum rules have been interpreted narrowly, wrongly, mean-spiritedly and incorrectly.  What is the appeal process for challenging a moderator's decision about the interpretation of the forum rules in relation to a specific post?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

From the forum rules page...
f you ever have reason to question the actions of a moderator you should try and resolve your issue directly with the moderation team via Private Message (PM), if your issue is not resolved please contact the Customer Relations Team Leader via PM, this is Jess Booth. They will liaise with the moderators and make a final decision on your case.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

A lot of company detail is quite easily found from a site at www.companycheck.co.uk. Things like accounts, directors present and past with other directorships held. One can have afree account and log in via social media. Plusnet front page is in attachment.
I understand why there is reluctance to give out info, and in most cases the public take matters no further, unaware that a lot of supposed hush hush matter is actually in the public domain.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: lucerne
I understand why there is reluctance to give out info, and in most cases the public take matters no further, unaware that a lot of supposed hush hush matter is actually in the public domain.

I'm sorry I don't understand this ruling at all.
With a big salary for being a company director should go accountability for the decisions that those directors take.   If they aren't willing to be publicly accountable (in their own member forum for heaven's sake) for their decisions then this suggests they only care about taking home as much money as they can to build the next swimming pool or fabulous new kitchen or buy their next yacht and absolutely nothing else.
In essence this amounts to one bad and unnecessary decision about who can report defective service on a broadband line (only the account owner even if they are away from home or ill and so not able to be contacted) followed by another one that we should also not know who at Plusnet took that bad and wrong policy decision.
I see this topic of authorised users was also raised in this forumback in April 2013 in the thread at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113592.0.html/ and there was also an abusive and completely wrong misuse of the definition of an authorised user by Plusnet staff revealed in this December 2014 threat at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134634.0.html/  Despite that Plusnet still goes out of its way to make it as hard as possible for relevant persons in a household to be made authorised users or removed from that position by not putting the ability to add or remove such persons from an account online and by not sending customer account owners periodic emails (eg every six months) reminding them to check online that their list of authorised users is still correct and up to date.
I also do not believe there is anything in the current Plusnet customer terms and conditions referring to authorised users and/or how they are created or maintained by the bill paying customer. Shocked Angry Angry Angry
Luzern
Hero

I think your getting wrong end of stick. My post was just pointing out that information is more easily acquired by methods other than going to the company that has the information, but is unwilling to release it. Where have I mentioned an ruling ::)?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: lucerne
I think your getting wrong end of stick. My post was just pointing out that information is more easily acquired by methods other than going to the company that has the information, but is unwilling to release it. Where have I mentioned an ruling ::)?

Lucerne,
It was not your ruling (you didn't make one) but Strat's I was not happy with.
My point was that it was petty and stupid in the extreme to interpret the forum rules (which are clearly there to protect ordinary private individuals who are Plusnet customers from being outed by other forum members with some kind of grudge against them but who perhaps personally outside the forum for some reason) as also protecting revealing the names and jobs positions of Plusnet's senior management team to its own customer base.
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Capvermell
petty and stupid in the extreme to interpret the forum rules
You are confusing "interpret" with "apply" and picking a fight with someone who doesn't deserve it.
I have very strong views, similar to yours in many respects, about the way the DPA is "abused" by organisations (and I have commented here on it before), but you are doing your case and personal reputation no good by throwing unsubstantiated abuse at Strat who really deserves an apology from you.
Take a chill pill and come back tomorrow.  Cool
Luzern
Hero

@ Capvermell
Thanks, but why quote my post in your comment, then?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@ Capvermell
Congratulations: you've succeeded in totally derailing a perfectly valid discussion. If you'd just quietly changed the post to have the positions as I suggested to you that wouldn't have happened. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Capvermell
Rising Star

Congratulations: you've succeeded in totally derailing a perfectly valid discussion. If you'd just quietly changed the post to have the positions as I suggested to you that wouldn't have happened. Sad

And you jelv with clearly absolutely nothing better to do in your life than make no less than 22,000 posts in this forum (a clearly very serious level of internet addiction indeed) and score as many points off other forum members as you possibly can to show just how clever you are whenever you possibly can (presumably because nobody back at home ever gives you that recognition in life) would I suppose always be right?! Roll_eyes
At the end of the day Plusnet's current position about who can report defects in a household utility service is simply quite absurd and that needs to change. Plusnet can still always protect the bill payer by only agreeing to allow a chargeable Openreach visit after they have spoken in person to the account owner and used various passwords and other data unique to the user (rather than other household members) to establish that the visit is only happening with their consent (alternatively an authorised user could also be allowed to request a chargeable BT visit themselves subject to them providing their own card details in advance to pay for it if Openreach decides the fault is in the customer's own internal wiring).  But Plusnet don't have to restrict all initial reporting of a fault and updates on its investigation only to the bill payer when that bill payer could even  be away from the home address on a 6 month secondment.
The whole current setup at Plusnet with them having hidden all the ways to create a new support ticket as deeply as they can in their help wizards and having half hour or more long calling queues (nearly all the time except from 1am to 6am) that undoubtedly cause at least  90% of potential complaint makers to give up just smacks of the most cynical BT or TalkTalk style management approach to customers where the company is simply engaging in cheating its user base by making it near impossible to log a complaint to make their complaint stats look low and also keep their support staffing costs to a minimum by limiting the number of complaints that are in the system and that have to be investigated.
The BT Group (of which Plusnet is now such a deeply embedded and also increasingly profitable secondary internet service division) simply isn't interested in happy customers but only in grabbing as much market share as it possibly can as fast as it can and also forcing up prices as often as it can through cynical steamroller style marketing campaigns. Angry Angry Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
The correct and appropriate application of the DPA is what is important.  If PN staff simply listen to the call, disclose no PERSONAL information and make no changes havng a commercial implication then there is no conflict with DPA.
In the meantime go examine the requirements about not disclosing personal details to third parties - I think one will find that PlusNET / their third parties have clearly breached those requirements, to their customer's detriment.

I assume you are referring to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133959.0.html
1. When the call was made last night, exactly what information was the agent not able to release to the caller because of the DPA? The DPA doesn't say that the company cannot listen to personal information being volunteered by the caller.
2. Blaming the DPA for not allowing someone to initiate an action which could cost money I would suggest is baloney. The DPA has nothing to with with financial transactions, it exists solely to prevent an organisation releasing confidential information to an unauthorised third party.

Quite right, not being able to report a fault whether it is a phone or broadband fault,  just because the individual reporting the issue isn't the account holder (or an authorised user) and claiming it's not allowed because of the DPA is a gross abuse by Plusnet.
Clearly the Director of Customer Experience, Transformation & Billing needs to speak rather promptly to the Director of Legal, Governance & Compliance about this ridiculous ruling for which she is no doubt responsible. She's clearly spent too long in America where they seem to do nothing over there but take action to try and protect there own arses, never mind if it causes problems for normal people.
I have refrained from actually including the names of those two directors here which as readers already know can be found at https://careers.plus.net/meet-the-team/ as the result of the ruling already made in this thread by a moderator.
You are not allowed to post names - even though they are given on the web page you've linked.

Sorry wrong, the Forum Rule actually says
Personal details are not to be posted on these forums, this includes the content of private message unless permission is obtained from all parties.
This includes the names of staff members who you may have had contact with via a call or ticket. This does not include members of the Customer Relations Team.

Those people are the Directors of Plusnet, they are not individuals that answer calls or tickets. Their names and positions are in the Public domain, therefore they are NOT Personal Details.
@Capvermell
I suggest you phone the ICO on Monday and discuss this abuse of the DPA with him and seek his advise before making a formal complaint to Plusnet using the Complaints procedure possibly using the Online Helpdesk. This will force Plusnet to reconsider the current policy and provide you with a written response which you can refer back to the ICO if need be.
AndyH
Grafter

What happens in this situation: Someone rings up to report a 'fault' saying it's on behalf of the account holder, an engineer is sent out, finds no fault and then a charge is raised against the account. The account holder then rings Plusnet to dispute the charge, saying they never gave permission for that person to report a fault or book an engineer.

Quote from: Anotherone
Those people are the Directors of Plusnet, they are not individuals that answer calls or tickets. Their names and positions are in the Public domain, therefore they are NOT Personal Details.

Surely this is still personal information when you post their names/job titles etc irrespective of whether it's in the public domain?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Andy as has already been said in this thread, an Engineer cannot be sent without an appointment date being agreed, that is the point at which one may draw the line if and only if the testing shows the fault might be at the customer premises. There are plenty of situations where where the test results show a fault is clearly external and therefore this point should not arise - it's called the application of common sense and has nothing whatsoever to do with data protection.
Quote from: AndyH
Surely this is still personal information when you post their names/job titles etc irrespective of whether it's in the public domain?

Absolute rubbish, personal information is "relating to one's private concerns • details of personal life" that's what the dictionary says and that's my opinion, you don't have to agree with the dictionary or me!
And please don't try and make any more out of this, it is quite clear I have respected the moderator's decision in this thread by not posting the names again as I stated in reply #42, even if I don't agree with the interpretation.