cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

I'm currently running my Dlink at a noise margin of 2dB.
Connection is stable  Cheesy
I would rather use those crippled Thompson's to hit myself with than use them as a router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

llennoc
Grafter

Hmm, yes I liked the D-Link but it looks like I was supplied an old one as they're out of stock now.
PlusNet sales assured me their service was 100% XBox Live compatible and yet they replace the D-Link with a crippled Thompson. I've tried a new Thompson they gave me, updated the software and I still can't get it to work. Support have told me 'go ask the forum'...  Roll_eyes I've read through tons of posts about this already and done all the 'rain dances' people are suggesting. I've managed to get it to work ONCE, briefly and then later it just reset itself back to strict NAT.
This sucks! I'm changing ISPs.  Angry
James
Grafter

Hiya - I've dropped you a PM which I hope may help to resolve this problem.
brendanp

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth here too... I also had my D-Link replaced by a Thomson piece of &^%$£$%^&*&^%$£$%^&*&^%$£$%&*&^%%^&*&^%$£%
Now I got no bloody control over packet priority and VOIP is less than usable with any sort of other usage on the connection thanks to my wonderful new router *sarcasm alert*
How about you take this hunk of JUNK back and give me a decent replacement...
Seriously.... feel sold out here. I've refered two other customers and I only ever got good things to say about Plusnet, how great their product is, how good the support is  etc...
BTW Support where no help, for the first time...  They just told me to come here and possible some one could help the problem....
Is this the begining of the decline of Plusnet customer support?
I'm not happy Plusnet!
Annoyed and frustrated customer
Brendan
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Plusnet only have Thomson rubbish now, a few months ago they still had a few D-Link's.
Can I suggest that you buy yourself a router of your choice (new or second-hand) and keep the Thomson as a backup?
If you have line problems, you can swap your routers to prove it's not a router problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mapletree
Grafter

I am puzzled.  My router works fine with xbox live without upnp or any special port forwarding rules.  Are there some games that need more?
brendanp

@Crucibleofevil! Thanks Mate, yeah looks like that's what I'm going to have to do... To say I'm a little annoyed is a big understatement, now I have to fix this at my own cost.... This is very very poor from Plusnet. What this point of having good backbone infrastructure if the kit giving access to it is rubbish.... FAIL.
Cheers
B