much better

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Re: much better

Quote from: whistler
Quote from: Bob
It's Thunderbird that I've been using to test your account.

Sorry - don't see your point. I've already said I think it's an issue BETWEEN your server and my client. I'm using outlook. OK so I switch to Thunderbird and it works - that doesn't tell us what the problem is - it just side steps it. - Maybe I'll have to switch to Thunderbird in the end if you can't find out what the problem is.

I also set things up using Outlook as I inferred here. Needless to say, I couldn't replicate the problem using Outlook either.
BUT, but, but I wonder, why did it work AT ALL? - I stuck wireshark on and traced the communication. Would I be right in thinking you have several email servers? I'm guessing that something at your end can cope with the "long" username but something else can't. Different servers handling credentials differently? - the luck of the draw as to which one you get? Just interested in why it was failing/succeeding intermittantly is all.

Intriguing Huh I've just tried logging in a few times and got this:
C:\Documents and Settings\bpullen>telnet mail.plus.net 110
+OK Hello there.
user bobpullen@plusdsl.net
+OK Password required.
pass ********
-ERR Login failed.

Then all of a sudden this happened:
C:\Documents and Settings\bpullen>telnet mail.plus.net 110
+OK Hello there.
user bobpullen@plusdsl.net
+OK Password required.
pass ********
-OK logged in.

We have 18 or so mail collection servers spread across two data centres in Sheffield. The servers are behind load balancing equipment and AFAIK should be configured identically. Looks like you might be onto something here so I've raised an internal problem to have somebody check the config of each of the servers (ref: 60719).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

whistler
Grafter

Hi Bob - Thanks for this. I'll be interested in your findings. Please post back when you have something.
whistler
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Looks like you might be onto something here so I've raised an internal problem to have somebody check the config of each of the servers (ref: 60719).

any update?
Mand
Grafter

There's no update as yet, I'll see if I can get an expected timeframe for this.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Hi Bob - Thanks for this. I'll be interested in your findings. Please post back when you have something.

It transpires that the system has worked like this for almost two years, ever since we moved to a RADIUS-based authentication system to allow for the integration of Madasafish. The system is splitting the username at the '@' symbol. You can add anything you like after the '@' but you'll not be able to login if you add anything other than an '@' sign after your username.
We'll probably move Madasafish onto the Plusnet mail platform at some point after which this behaviour will cease to exist.
I'm still trying to find out why logging in with the broadband username only intermittently works ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵