cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Distribution software

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Email Distribution software

This isn't a problem with Plusnet and emails. I am looking for a way for the club I belong to to have software that holds a list of club members email addresses. This software would need to be held somewhere 'neutral' such as a server, so we wouldn't be relying on a club member having a pc powered up all the time. If any club member on that list wants to send an email to all the others on the list, they just send one email, and the software would redirect it to all members.

Obviously the software would have to be secure so that it cannot be interfered with by some rogue. It would also have to prevent others not on that list sending emails to it for distribution. Preferably, it would also be free.

Any suggestions, please?

4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Email Distribution software

You need some list server software.

The installation and setup would be out of all proportion for a single list, though.

However, Google do provide this kind of functionality - via Google Groups, but I'm guessing that this isn't what you want?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @VileReynard . My running club has for some years used 'emaildodo' for distributing emails from any club member to all other club members. It has done the job quite satifactorily most of the time. However, every now and then it will not send on an email to one, maybe two, members on the list, but it will still send that email to all the others, and then the next email will be distributed to all. It isn't a hard and fast fault. It just comes and goes, but you never know when. If the email is a regular email such as a weekly club news email, if you dont get that email it causes you to ask "where is it?". Then we find out it has happened. If it is one where for example you are asking the club members for some information and you don't know who might know the answer so you want all to receive your email, the recipients wont know it is coming so wont know they haven't received it (and neither will you). As a result, we don't know how bad the problem is, just that it exists.

Therefore, I am just looking for some other distribution system that might be more reliable

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

@penneck wrote:
[...]

Therefore, I am just looking for some other distribution system that might be more reliable

Gaggle Mail might be worth a try.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We are looking at using Mailchimp which is used by another club I belong to, but I will note Gaggle Mail, just in case Mailchimp turns out to not do what we want.

Regards