cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up eero pro 6 mesh WiFi network

Mart1824
Hooked

Help setting up eero pro 6 mesh WiFi network

Just bought 2 eero pro 6 devices to improve the WiFi on our house. At home we have no mobile phone or data signal. Therefore when I follow the set up it directs me to put the Hub 2 into bridge mode which of course disconnects the internet. I have got it working by connecting the gateway eero to the Hub 2 by ethernet with a double NAT. When I try and connect via PPPOE, I enter my username and password and then save but I am not offered the option to "apply". Is this a chance I have put incorrect details on?
If so once I put the right ones in hopefully, then should I be able to connect the gateway eero directly to the ONT?
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Help setting up eero pro 6 mesh WiFi network

@Mart1824 The PPPoE credentials you require are :-

Username - <youraccountname>@plusdsl.net

Password - the password you use to access the member centre at https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

Therefore when I follow the set up it directs me to put the Hub 2 into bridge mode which of course disconnects the internet.

Bridge mode is ONLY for use in an FTTC situation. You refer to an ONT which implies you have FTTP , in which case the Eero should be connected directly to the ONT

Setup guide for PPPoE on the Eero is here https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/5382599417371-PPPoE-Setup-Instructions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mart1824
Hooked

Thanks for the rapid response but in the set up process it detects I have not got mobile data signal so tells me to plug the eero gateway onto the hub 2 via ethernet. I tried plugging directly into the ONT but it fails to connect .
whilst following the connection guide!

100% entering correct details for PPPOE. Does not accept them and reverts back to DCHP!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried the instructions in the last para

3) If you’re currently using eero in bridge mode with a 3rd party router, you will need to first switch eero to Automatic mode through the eero App under Settings > Network Settings > DHCP & NAT. Once that is completed, you can follow the steps above to enable PPPoE. Once PPPoE is enabled on eero, you can then swap your router for your eero.

Failing that, factory reset the Eero and try setting up again without it connected to the ONT.  AFAIK the initial connection from the App uses Bluetooth.

Failing that , I'm afraid its talk to Eero support...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mart1824
Hooked

Thanks again. Definitely in auto mode and not bridge mode. I will try and plug the eero gateway into the ONT directly again using the supplied ethernet cable and not the WAN cable that goes into the HUB 2. It's the fact that I have no mobile data signal that [-Censored-]s up the set up!

It could possibly be that the original firmware on the eero gateway did not support PPPOE but once updated it might?
Mart1824
Hooked

Factory reset and plugged eero gateway directly into ONT. Connects and gets solid white light then fails to connect to internet. I then select PPPOE and enter isp login and password and hit apply nothing happens. The only way I have managed to get this to work is plugging the eero gateway into an ethernet port on the Hub 2. Can't wait for eero support on WiFi calling!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd certainly try a firmware update with it connected via the Hub 2

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mart1824  The problems you are experiencing show the absolute stupidity that the manufacturers of Routers or whatever seem to require a mobile connection to run an app. It doesn't make sense, if you have limited mobile signal and no connection to the internet wifi calling is not going to help you. Why not allow the config to be set up from a local ethernet lan connection?

I guess these days everything has to have an App to be cool.😠

Mart1824
Hooked

I am beginning to think to that the openreach ONT box is currently linked/locked to the Plusnet Hub and therefore the ONT box needs resetting or power cycling to allow the eero gateway to connect to it directly. This is the only option I have not tried yet. I will try eero support in the morning.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mart1824  The ONT has no knowledge of what it is connected to so cannot be locked to anything, it is just acting as an dumb connection between the incoming fibre and your internal router/lan. It would do no harm to power cycle it but probably wont make any difference. I think you will do well to get any sense from Eero support so best of luck.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Mart1824 I can absolutely confirm @RealAleMadrid s statement

The ONT has no knowledge of what it is connected to so cannot be locked to anything

I have had a number of different routers connected to my ONT including a Hub 2. I currently have a TPLink ER605 running OpenWrt connected.

As long as the router supports PPPoE properly andthe credentials are correct it will work.

NB if the Eero has a VLAN ID option, make sure it is disabled