Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited access

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Limited access

I'm sure the alarm is reducing your signal & putting a filter in should improve matters greatly.

However, since it has its own wireless ("no-wires") then you have a second strong wifi signal present in the house, which could interfere with the one from your router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks again .... I am hoping to get Installer round soon and will report back

I have been working on my "Limited" issue by the methods suggested on here :

•  Anti surge to plug Router in   
  • Moved Cordless Phone
  • Moved wi fi thermostat
  • Unticked the "Allow PC to turn off signal to save power"

Also done a couple of others but have seen on Youtube a Video where the Poster turns off the Power Tick Box as above but when that does not work he disables the Router signal / maybe Driver I think - which he says then Windows (8.1) will reinstall once you restart the PC

I do not know if that is a legit Site so I don't want to try that as yet ! Anyone know of this please ?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't touch any drivers.

Unticking the "save power" box is sensible.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

•  Anti surge to plug Router in - Won't help.  Other devices connect so it's not the router 
  • Moved Cordless Phone - Might possibly have helped
  • Moved wi fi thermostat - Should't help.  Wifi is designed to cope with multiple devices.
  • Unticked the "Allow PC to turn off signal to save power" - Might have helped although it really shouldn't.

As an educated guess, the guy on YouTube re-installed the drivers for the wireless adaptor in his computer.  I keep telling you that that is likely to be the source of your problem but you haven't yet paid me any attention, @Bamboozled.  The way to do this would be to find the wireless adaptor in Device Manager and uninstall it.  It's a plug and play device so once you restart the computer Windows should find the adaptor and re-install the drivers.  Windows will use the copy of the drivers stored on your computer in the first instance so this doesn't work if you happen to have got the wrong drivers associated with your device but it does work if one of the active driver files had become corrupt.  However messing around uninstalling drivers can get you into more difficulties so proceed with caution.    

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@ReedRichards wrote:
 Windows will use the copy of the drivers stored on your computer in the first instance so this doesn't work if you happen to have got the wrong drivers associated with your device

if you open up device manager on your pc, locate the entry for the wifi adaptor and hit the uninstall button, connect the Ethernet cable from the router to the laptop and then once the internet connection is running hit the search button in device manager it should find the wifi adaptor, tell it ot search online for the correct driver and see if that fixs the problem, I expect your laptopo is using a relatek adaptor but either has the wrong driver or a faulty wifi card.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and thanks again for another reply

I am not ignoring you or your suggestions I assure you ! As I know nothing about PCs and Wifi I have been hoping for a magic bullet to cure my woes with anything that is seriously simple

So adding the anti surge may have worked but didn't - same for the other things. What I was trying to avoid are things that a) seem complicated and thus could go badly wrong and b) anything that seems dodgy hence my question about the guy on Youtubes "fix".

I was once duped a few years ago into going deep in my System (well it seemed deep to me) to remove a Virus and I would know I had it if I found it because there would be a grey Teddy Bear icon at a certain point. Anyway after finding and unchecking the Bear I found I had [-Censored-]ed up my PC and ultimately the scammers would have been laughing as they got what they wanted with loads of people uninstalling something that they actually needed. I never laughed so much (not) and since then I Google all such information and they are usually "scams"

So looking at the Youtube fix I was sceptical BUT it looks as though it is exactly the same thing as you are suggesting and I will give it a go later today and let you know how I get on ! My money is on you being exactly right and perhaps I should have been braver earlier than this.

Regards JT

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Sorry about the censored word readers it was not a seriously bad word and just started with Bug !

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Bamboozled wrote:

I was once duped a few years ago into going deep in my System (well it seemed deep to me) to remove a Virus and I would know I had it if I found it because there would be a grey Teddy Bear icon at a certain point. Anyway after finding and unchecking the Bear I found I had [-Censored-]ed up my PC and ultimately the scammers would have been laughing as they got what they wanted with loads of people uninstalling something that they actually needed. I never laughed so much (not) and since then I Google all such information and they are usually "scams"

Regards JT

I remember that.  It was a mean trick to get people to delete a perfectly innocent (but necessary) file.  Best to ask first - and here is as good a place to ask as any.

Before you uninstall the drivers for your wireless adaptor it's worth noting what your wireless adaptor is identified as in Device Manager.  Also look to see if the drivers have been updated at some point in the past (in which case there will be an option to roll-back to the previous version).  Did you mention what version of Windows your computer is running?  

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Bamboozled wrote:

Sorry about the censored word readers it was not a seriously bad word and just started with Bug !

the new way to say that without saying it is "borked" which because its a new fangled nonsense word doesn't get filtered Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@ReedRichards wrote:

@Bamboozled wrote:

Regards JT

Before you uninstall the drivers for your wireless adaptor it's worth noting what your wireless adaptor is identified as in Device Manager.  Also look to see if the drivers have been updated at some point in the past (in which case there will be an option to roll-back to the previous version).  Did you mention what version of Windows your computer is running?  

Found it and familiarised myself/ No option to roll back as it is greyed out

Had Windows 8 and in a drive by I was updated to 8.1 one night

This is my third attempt to send this Post as the problem most often happens  when I try to send an email or change to another WebSite ! Tomorrow I am going for it !

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I thought maybe an update to Windows 10 might have left you with the wrong wireless driver but you seem to have avoided that "drive-by".  Before you induce your computer to re-install your existing wireless driver, or whatever it can find online, it might be worth checking the web site of your computer manufacturer to see if there is an updated driver there.  That would be the optimum choice if it exists.  

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

No joy with the last 2 attempts to get my normal service back including Uninstalling my Router on my PC. I turned off the Router as well before connecting back up.

Is there a correct sequence to doing this - and would it be worth either leaving the Router "off" for a longer period say 15 minutes OR resetting to Factory Settings (or both)

I am considering buying a new Laptop just to get rid of this problem because it is just so infuriating and spoiling my enjoyment massively. Almost every minute now I have to use Windows Diagnostic Tool which runs and 9 times out of 10 comes up with "The default Gateway is unavailable". It shows it has applied the "fix" and when I click "Done" I am connected again for a few minutes - maybe more.

I have disconnected twice while writing this and if I don't remember and have written an email and press send I lose the connection and all the email I have written unless I have copied it before attempting the "send". Luckily I remembered to save this one !

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Decided to "test" my Laptop before plunging in for a new one (Yorkshireman syndrome) and so had a run to McDonalds and connected to their wifi

So far I have been here for a Latte and a half and have used my Laptop with no "Limited" notices no interruptions to my service and altogether no problems whatsoever.

In fact my Laptop is behaving as well as it used to before I swapped to Fibre from ordinary Broadband and the Laptop is I guess blame free ?

Half an hour gone would have been at least 15 incidents at home v 0 incidents here. I have not even spilt the Latte over the PC yet ! Cheers Bamboozled  

yorkshire7
Dabbler

I have had nearly 2 weeks with no limited problems and it started up again yesterday and the broadband keeps showing as running slow, so is it Plusnet's fault or is it communication with my laptop, if it can work for nearly 2 weeks, suggests to me its plusnet

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

I am not sure tbh but back from McDonalds and I have gone "Limited" 3 times in 10 Minutes and I think (but could be wrong) that my Laptop has been proven to be ok as it worked

a) with previous PlusNet Router and b) with an outside Router (McDs) but not at home with my "new" Fibre Router from Plusnet