Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem comparisons

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Modem comparisons

Hi

I have been using an Asus RT-N66U modem with Merlin firmware for around 9 years and it has been as solid as rock.

I am now being sent a PN Hub Two to replace the Technicolor 582n that PN assumed I had been using since 2013 and I am wondering whether it is worth getting out of the box.

My home network consists of cables to 6 other locations (rooms etc) where there is either a port and a computer directly linked, a switch or an old modem running in bridge mode to provide either a stronger WiFi or switch.

On the network there's the usual network printer, PC's with some shared folders, consoles, TV's, tablets, phones and a DNLA server for a family of 6

If I run a generic speed test I get 67.50Mbps, 18.02Mbps at 17ms and that is fairly normal throughout the day.

So,

Are there any comparison sites out there that show the performance and hardware differences between the two

Would I notice any difference in speeds for a busy but ultimately domestic network

I like the none standard router/firmware as I felt it gave a slightly better level of protection with constant updates (till around a year ago as the modem is going into run-off) plus it gave some slightly better flexibility as it's not needed to be idiot proof.

Are there any reliable and decent alternative firmwares out there for hub 2 yet?  I've had a rummage but hadn't found anything which looks as easy and reliable as the Merlin stuff

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Modem comparisons

@my53rdchoice 

From my reading an RT-66U is a quite old router, not a modem. Have you got a separate Openreach modem or am I reading this wrong?

In terms of comparing performance with a single box Plusnet combined modem/router, your best bet is to try them both yourself and use the one with which you are happiest.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Sorry, replace the word modem with router.

Yes, there is a separate modem on the line which the ASUS router/582n connects to.

Is the hub 2 a router/modem or just router?  Will I be able to ditch the separate modem with the hub 2?

Yes, the ASUS is quite old, mine is 9 years old and they were 2 or 3 years old at the point of purchase.

I am more wondering whether the changes in chip power makes any real difference given that on domestic networks they are not doing a huge amount

Cheers

Baldrick1

@my53rdchoice 

Yes the Hub 2 is a combined unit so you no longer need the separate modem.

You should find improved wireless performance with the new hub.

Moderator and Customer

my53rdchoice
Grafter

It's an old BT Openreach 061513 modem sitting between the router and socket.

Can't believe they are going for a tenner on fleabay

Can I send that and the 582n back to PN or are they no longer interested in them

Baldrick1

@my53rdchoice 

You can, or recycle it locally, see https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/returns/

Alternatively, if it still works then keep it as a spare.

Edit. Be aware that the Plusnet Hub 2 only has three LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

@my53rdchoice wrote:

I have been using an Asus RT-N66U modem with Merlin firmware for around 9 years and it has been as solid as rock.

... ... ...

I like the none standard router/firmware as I felt it gave a slightly better level of protection with constant updates (till around a year ago as the modem is going into run-off) plus it gave some slightly better flexibility as it's not needed to be idiot proof.

Alternatively you could get a relatively cheap second hand Asus router (from eBay) that is still supported by the Merlin firmware such as the RT-AC68U or RT-AC88U,  and get the benefits of the familiar router configuration that you are used to, and continue to receive  ongoing firmware updates (last release was just two days ago - so clearly still being maintained).