Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC using Backup & Restore

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: New PC using Backup & Restore

@bobw1943 wrote:

... It's just that I recall having to be so careful downloading free software over the years.

@bobw1943 

Before running them, it's worth checking your newly downloaded stuff at VirusTotal.com or alternative similar services.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 283

I agree with @RobPN and the others on this subject, but in all the time I've been downloading /installing Windows programs (20years?) I have found that if you (a) use the official site {or a trusted third party} and (b) decline any 'additional offers' then you end up with what you expect.

The good news (for me) is that I've moved to Linux and programs on the official D/L sites are what they say they are, and from my limited experience don't contain nasties.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@bobw1943 

when you fist receive the new pc I'd suggested making a clone of the system disk (C Drive) I use clonezilla but there are alternatives, this will allow your to restore the system disk back to it's original state in the event of an problem.

If you open Control Panel >Programs and Features this will list all the additional software you have installed, you can change the view to small icons, do a screen grab and print it. Handly check list.

Install all the programs you require before restoring data, the necessary destination folders will be missing otherwise.

I've used Windows 7 Backup and Restore user data without a system image to move data across. There are many tutorials and utliliies which makes the transfer less painfull than trying to remember what to do.

Dan.

bobw1943
Grafter

I've set up the new PC after saving all the user data from the old one onto an external HDD. I'm not sure how to make use of the internal HDD on the new machine. As I expected the OS is installed on the SSD which is called "Local Disk (C:)", all my previous PCs have had a D drive which I have assumed is a recovery partition. This machine doesn't have a D drive, but there is a folder on the C: drive called Windows.
The 1Tb internal HDD is named "New Volume (E:) and has nothing on it at all. I've installed some apps onto the C: drive but I'm not clear how to utilise the E: drive for user data.

PC_config.jpg

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

This might help you

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10 

You can rename the E drive if you want to

Dan

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for that. A quick look suggests it will be most helpful 👍