cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation today, can't seem to get above 100Mbps on speedtest

martyn90125
Grafter

New installation today, can't seem to get above 100Mbps on speedtest

Just upgraded today and router shows im getting 1000 Mbps but cannot seem to get above 100Mbps on speedtest or from any downloads.

I'm currently using tp-link homeplugs which i realized was capping me at 100Mbps so i went and bought ones capable of 1000Mbps but still not getting above 100, i've checked and tried different ethernet cables, all are cat5e except 1 cat6 i use from the homeplug to my pc.

Is this just a homeplug/cable issue, would need to run 20 odd meters of cable to not use homeplugs, hoping im not stuck at 100Mbps as then the upgrade was pointless as it's barely an increase on what i had previously.

12 REPLIES 12
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: New installation today, can't seem to get above 100Mbps on speedtest

@martyn90125 

You need to run a speed test with something directly connected to the router / ONT to confirm the speed you are receiving. If you can't do a wired test then a WiFi test would be a starter.

If you're getting somewhere aroung the expected speeds then the problem will be with your equipment.

Another possibility is that if the upgrade was today it might not have completed in PN systems - it can be up till midnight.

Brian

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Please ignore, I've re read the OP

martyn90125
Grafter

Thanks, I moved my pc downstairs to test it and while plugged directly from the router to the pc i was hitting 900+Mbps so the issue is my equipment.

Does anyone have any ideas about increasing the homeplug speeds? maybe faster homeplugs and cat6 cable or will i need to just run a a 50m cable around the house?

I'm assuming even with a 50m ethernet cable i should still get a few hundred Mbps speeds right?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

with a 50m cat6 cable you would get the full speed, cat5e should as well.

homeplugs you are unlikely to get anywhere near that speed. most I've had out of mine is about 180
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@martyn90125 

I know some powerline homeplugs don't play well between different floors - different power circuits. If you state what units you have others may be able to comment of this.

If your PC is still downstairs you could move it to the next room and try the homeplugs on the same power circuit.

As to running ethernet cable if you're not happy running it inside think about getting someone in to run cable externally.

Brian

martyn90125
Grafter

@dvorak that's good to know, will keep that in mind, thanks.

martyn90125
Grafter

gonna have to figure out a route for cabling i guess haha, too much speed to waste otherwise.

bmc
Hero

@martyn90125 

Although Cat6 cable is better shielded and can therefore carry more capacity Cat5e cable should do for most domestic solutions - they both are rated at the same speed.

Ethernet cable is not particularily flexible - it doesn't do corners well. Cat6 is worse as it has a plastic cross spine for shielding.

Which ever cable you choose it is of more importance to buy / specify good quality solid copper core (SCC) cable. Copper coated aluminium (CCA) or copper coated steel (CCS) is cheaper for a reason - far less copper to carry the data signal.

If you go external you would have a wall mounted ethernet socket at either end. Depending on your house you could probably take the cable round the outside to any room upstairs you want.

Brian

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

A TV aerial installer ran cat6 from our router through the wall, down the side of the house, through the garage. along the fence down to the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden. Cost £30. Added a small switch which connects TV, soundbar & speakers, IP camera & wireless access point. Perfect….

bmc
Hero

@Champnet 

£30 - really!!! That would barely pay for the Cat6 cable.

Brian

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

Actually the bill was £60, at the same time I had another external line installed round the front of the house to the lounge. Connecting another TV, soundbar & speakers, DVD, PVR and wireless access point.  Cost included all cabling and four wall sockets….

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'