cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie help

Mejisan
Dabbler

Re: Newbie help

Little update; I now have ont>plusnethub2>nestwifipro >all the other nest wifi pros in mesh network working . The speeds are around 30 download on average and then occasionally up to140 . This is all when our usage isn't changing at all.ie we aren't doing more when speeds lower. No overloading going on here. These speeds are worse than when I just had the nest Pro wifi plugged into the onto and no hub2 involved.

So in short I'm now basically back to where I was 2 years ago. Sad

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

You may already know this.

Double NAT (Network Address Translation) occurs when you have two routers back to back

For a single router; all the devices connected to your LAN are hidden behind the Broadband IP Address (sometimes know as your Public IP Address) of the router connected to the internet. This router will either connect to a modem for FTTC or a ONT for FTTP for it's broadband connection. 

If you then add a second router connected to the router making the internet connection, all devices connected to the second router are hidden behind the second router WAN IP Address

Using the Hub Two in 'Bridge Mode' turns off the router function and makes it a modem only for FTTC connections, however what it not know to me and maybe @MisterW what happens when bridge mode is enabled and the WAN port is connected to the ONT with the DSL port being left disconnected?

I now have ont>plusnethub2>nestwifipro >all the other nest wifi pros in mesh network working

Are you able to use a speedtest with a device connected to the Hub Two, preferably wired? What are the results.

What backhaul method are you using for the mesh unit between each other and to the Hub?

If wireless how strong is the signal, a poor signal between mesh units will result in degraded performance.

For the best performance mesh units backhaul should be wired 

Edit: The Hub Two can either be a combined modem/router using DSL port  or a router using the WAN port, the firmware of the Hub auto configures to match the connection found DSL or WAN

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Using the Hub Two in 'Bridge Mode' turns off the router function and makes it a modem only for FTTC connections, however what it not know to me and maybe @MisterW what happens when bridge mode is enabled and the WAN port is connected to the ONT with the DSL port being left disconnected?

I dont know for sure, but my guess would be that the WAN port is effectively disabled in bridge mode. Since the Hub 2 is no longer attempting to establish a PPPoE connection , the auto detection WAN/DSL is likely disabled.

In bridge mode the Hub 2 bridges the VDSL PTM port to an ethernet LAN port.  Certainly it makes no sense to 'bridge' the WAN port to a LAN port since they are both ethernet anyway!.

It would make sense if the Hub 2 wireless could be enabled in bridge mode, since you would be able to use it as a WAP. I have a Zyxel 3925 that can be used in exactly this way, thus giving 4 LAN ports and wireless.

However, in this configuration it makes no sense to connect it to the ONT!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mejisan
Dabbler

Thanks again for the help.

I currently have it set up as ont>hub2 wanport >hub2lan> google nest Pro wifi (port w globe above it). There's nothing in dsl port. Bridge mode is off but I have done it with Bridge mode on before in my very first set up over a year ago and it seemed to work the same as it is currently. (Slow ish speedsaround 30 with spikes )

Are you able to use a speedtest with a device connected to the Hub Two, preferably wired?

We tried it wired once and it was 140 but but i suspect if i monitored for days itd be inconsistent and id see slow downs. When i did a check connected wirelessly to the google nest pro wifi this s is what gave me the speeds I mentioned last - average speeds are 30 ish with sporadic spikes of 140 ish

What backhaul method are you using for the mesh unit between each other and to the Hub?

Im not sure what you mean. The mesh devices (all google nest wifi pro devices the same as the one acting as router) connect to each other over wifi this is how they are intended to be used rather than wired. The one used as a router is wired to the hub2 in current set up ( although previously I had connected direct to ont w no hub2 Involved).  All the nest wifi pro devices are in their factory/standard settings now.

The connection between all nest wifi pro devices in the mesh network is reported as great. This doesn't change so there's no issue with the mesh wifi connection.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@Mejisan there are quite a few reports, although mostly historical, of the Google nest causing the speed issues you are seeing.

I think you really need to confirm whather the problem is a basic problem with your FTTP connection or a problem with the Nest.

In your current configuration, with the Hub 2 in router mode, you should be able do wired tests using a Hub 2 LAN port.  

Unless such tests demonstrate similar erratic speeds, then the problem would seem to be the Nest I'm afraid.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Mejisan wrote:

Are you able to use a speedtest with a device connected to the Hub Two, preferably wired?

We tried it wired once and it was 140 but but i suspect if i monitored for days itd be inconsistent and id see slowdowns

Why would you expect slow downs? My first assumption would be that this is a wireless co channel interference problem. Unless you try a wired test and ensure you have consistent results you don’t know if this is a network or wireless issue.

Have you tried a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone, to see if you have a neighbour using the same wireless channel(s)?

Edit

I have just returned to this topic and seen that @MisterW has already posted a similar suggestion.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mejisan
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Why would you expect slow downs? 

Because i am fairly sure this is a problem with the connection coming in to the property not what happens once its inside as my mesh is reporting great connection between mesh points consistently and I've used sniffers to check no competing wireless channel probs. I also experience the issue when beside the main Google wifi pro router . 

When ido wireless speed tests whats interesting is when set up ont>nestwifipro I get generally great speeds approx 100-140 but with drop outs/ sudden slow downs.

When I'm ont>hub2>nestwifipro  I get lower speeds around 30 with occasional sudden higher blips.

Mejisan
Dabbler

Thanks. I'm beging to think I should thrown the nest wifi pros in the bin anyway tbh. 

They are a nightmare when trouble shooting as any slight change necessitates a complete reset of the whole network meaning you have to go round factory reseting scanning and reading all the points to the mesh. 

Considering getting zen or orbi but so expensive

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Mejisan 

Where possible a wired speed test should be used, many variable using wireless, for a meshed system you would need to be sure you're connected to the router not a satellite as with a satellite you will be testing the speed of

device to satellite - satellite to router - router to speedtest server, the result may not be accurate and could present buffering

Have you looked a low end products, expensive doesn't necessarily mean better; I've used TP-Link One mesh with no issues, you just need to be sure you get WiFi 6

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Mejisan 

If there’ a network issue then throwing away your wireless mesh units will not make a jot of difference. Why not humour us and do some longer term direct Ethernet connection tests?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mejisan
Dabbler

This made me laugh. Smiley . I'd be throwing them away because of the resetting issues I mentioned rather than to improve the network necessarily, although as misterw notes there are several reports that they are problematic and may cause the network speed probs I'm experiencing too. Plus the tech support talked nonsense. 

We will do some longer term testing wired to the hub2 and see if we manage to catch any of the poor speed moments over time.

Mejisan
Dabbler

Thanks. I'm open to all mesh network recommendations. Not impressed at all with the nest Pro devices.