cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two incompatible with my ISP?

FIXED
mrick
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub Two incompatible with my ISP?

I have just bought a Hub Two router to use with my Shell Energy (formerly Post Office) ISP service.

I currently have an ADSL ACC 107-102 line splitter, with one line connecting into a BT phone socket, and the other for connection to a modem.

The Hub 2 instructions tell me to connect one end of the Ethernet cable with red ends into my hub's WAN port, and the other into the Openreach ONT's(??) PORT 1 / LAN 1 port, and NOT to use the Broadband port.

The "red" cable does not connect with the splitter, and, if I use a "normal" cable to connect the Broadband port to the splitter, the router's light remains on a steady orange, and I am advised to phone Plusnet for help!

Can anyone please explain whether the situation I have can be salvaged, or whether the Hub 2 is incompatible with my clearly old-fashioned system?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Plusnet Hub Two incompatible with my ISP?

@mrick The Hubs only work on BT Broadband or Plusnet connections, so are incompatible with your 'Shell' one.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Hi,

You have purchased a Hub two intended for Full Fibre connection, the box would be missing a DSL cable and ADSL filter. Although it should still work with a xDSL connection.

Secondly, I understand BT and Plusnet devices will not work off network

HTH

Dan

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Dan_the_Van - correct, they only work on a BT BB or PN connection. I seem to recall the Shell service also uses a different authentication protocol.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Fix

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Router to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mrick
Dabbler

Many thanks for everyone's "Bad News"!

Regards,

Mike