Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Setting Grandstream HT801 ATA for A&A and Plusnet Hub 2

FIXED
Schiehallion
Rising Star

Problems Setting Grandstream HT801 ATA for A&A and Plusnet Hub 2

I was trying to set up my father's Grandstream HT801 ATA on his new A&A VOIP service yesterday. The ATA came from A&A and was supposedly pre-configured. 1st problem I had, was after it had been sitting for a while the ATA wouldn't accept an incoming call.

I then configured the ATA using @Tettin excellent guide https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/VOIP-using-Plusnet-Grandstream-A-amp-A/td-p/1969698 (although I haven't updated the firmware).

I've also set the ‘NAT Traversal’ option to ‘Keep-Alive’ as suggested by @MisterW, in the same thread. I've also set it for the UK ringing sound with the Cadence setting.

Tettin's settings seem to have solved the original problem I was having (Tettin has probably also solved issues I hadn't found).

I am still having one problem though. If I phone my father from my mobile (or presumably from any phone) and he doesn't answer (the answerphone on the BT4600 cuts in) the call doesn't terminate at his end when I hang up (the answerphone keeps recording the "call finished tone"). This is a particular issue as he uses the call screening feature to identify genuine callers.

I have been searching online and someone seemed to have the same issue with a Grandstream HT813. In their case, they had to change the "PSTN Disconnect Tone". https://community.freepbx.org/t/grandstream-ht813-doesnt-hang-up-fxo/72716

I seem to the same (or similar) issue, but the HT801 doesn't have this setting.

My father has a Plusnet FTTP connection with a Hub 2 router. None of the hub 2's settings have been changed (it's all factory settings). He has a completely standard set up.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Problems Setting Grandstream HT801 ATA for A&A and Plusnet Hub 2

Fix

I am still having one problem though. If I phone my father from my mobile (or presumably from any phone) and he doesn't answer (the answerphone on the BT4600 cuts in) the call doesn't terminate at his end when I hang up (the answerphone keeps recording the "call finished tone"). This is a particular issue as he uses the call screening feature to identify genuine callers.

@Schiehallion looking at the HT801 Admin guide , there's a 'Loop current disconnect' settings in the FXS port settings (page 35 of the pdf). Might be worth trying with that enabled and then also experiment with the Loop current disconnect duration setting

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Schiehallion
Rising Star

@MisterW

Thanks. Will be at his house over the weekend, so will try that when I visit.

Tettin
Hooked

Hi, when I set up the HT801 etc it worked fine with the settings as in the attachment mentioned, and with the updated firmware. I did not set the 'keep-alive' option. Though I can see the logic of doing so but I have not had any problems with calls or with the answer machine, ie it has been working fine without setting keep-alive.  Our phone is a Panasonic DECT set up, not BT so not quite the same as yours. Nevertheless the recording stops when someone hangs up.

I know that setting the 'keep-alive' makes sense but I have found it unnecessary and I'm wondering if the keep alive might be too good at keeping the link alive. So, Id go back and do a firmware update, a reset and start with the settings I put in the attachment. If that works ok stop. by all means go and make other changes, like call cadence, or other settings but keep a record of your changes and be prepared to step back if there is an issue.

I'm also wondering if there might be something incompatible with the BT set up, or a fault. it would be tempting to test with a different phone.

I hope you find a solution.... 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

The NAT keep alive has nothing to do with call termination, it's purely to keep the NAT mapping open on the router so that incoming calls don't get dropped.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Schiehallion
Rising Star

@Schiehallion looking at the HT801 Admin guide , there's a 'Loop current disconnect' settings in the FXS port settings (page 35 of the pdf). Might be worth trying with that enabled and then also experiment with the Loop current disconnect duration setting

@MisterW @Tettin 

Enabling the "Loop Current Disconnect" setting solved the problem. Didn't need to alter the "Loop current disconnect duration" setting.

Thank you both so much for your help.