Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Improvement and Adding an Extra Access Point

Tranquilitybase
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Router Improvement and Adding an Extra Access Point

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and my knowledge is basic.

Since having solar panels installed and changing from BT to Plusnet, my Wifi has deteriorated. We had both jobs done at a similar time so it's difficult to tell which is to blame. I have read that the inverter, for solar installations, can interfere with WiFi.

I particularly need Wifi in my garage so that the app will connect with a dongle on the inverter. This will enable monitoring of the solar installation. I have asked the manufacturer, and it can only work via the Wifi dongle.

I have tried two makes of £20 Wifi boosters. Neither helped.

I have run some ethernet cable to my garage. This can be plugged into my primary router (I configured the original BT one) and I intend to then buy another access point to be placed about a meter from my Wifi dongle for the solar inverter (in the garage).

I'd be grateful for any advice on which routers to use for this. Should I use better ones in both places (ie the primary one in the house and the other one in the garage)? I've been looking at the TP Archer VR400, but feel out of my depth.

Please remember you will be talking to someone with very basic knowledge.

Many thanks......Mike

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Router Improvement and Adding an Extra Access Point

@Tranquilitybase  Welcome to the Community forum.

Which Plusnet hub have you got? Which BT hub were you previously using?

If you still have it your BT hub then this can be configured to work with Plusnet. You will find instructions pinned to the top of this Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tranquilitybase
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have done that.....I'm using the BT one which I had already. It's about three years old and looks the same as the Plusnet one except it's black.

Regards.....Mike

Baldrick1

@Tranquilitybase 

Another thought, if you have an Ethernet cable and need a WAP/USB dongle have you thought whether you could bypass the wireless link by using an Ethernet to USB converter,  https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethetnet-Adapter-1000Mbps-Nintendo/dp/B07M91X2NW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?key...

For what it’s worth, I have no problem connecting my solar inverter wirelessly from my hall located hub through a cavity wall to the garage using a Plusnet Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Tranquilitybase 
This sounds like a BT Smarthub 2 configured as a WAP? Can you connect other devices to this? Have you checked that the dongle can connect to this when it’s plugged into a different device? Some devices don’t like the synchronised bands so try turning the 5GHz band off.

Moderator and Customer

Tranquilitybase
Dabbler

Hi,

That's interesting. I didn't know it would be possible. My inverter is a "Givenergy" one. What's yours? 
Tranquilitybase
Dabbler

Hi,

Yes. Looking at the BT site, it appears to be a Smarthub 2.
I followed instructions on the internet and got it working (to my surprise) as a substitute for the Plusnet one.

When you ask if I can connect other devices to it....I have a powerline adapter connected to it which goes to the Freeview TV box/recorder.

I'm not sure what you mean by....Have you checked that the dongle can connect to this when it’s plugged into a different device?

Would I need to do this..... Some devices don’t like the synchronised bands so try turning the 5GHz band off....... by connecting the router to my PC again please?

Thanks for your patience. My technological knowledge has been left behind a few decades ago, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Regards.....Mike
Baldrick1

@Tranquilitybase 

I misunderstood what you were writing, I thought that you were using the Smarthub as a Wireless Access Point. I have an ABB inverter with a built in wireless server. I will have a look at yours to see if I can help tomorrow.

Moderator and Customer

Mav
Fixes: 517

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from My Router to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

@Tranquilitybase 

I have now read through the instructions for setting up your dongle, so let's start again. This is not trivial unless you carefully follow the instructions.

This Inverter is like mine in that it includes its own network server as well as acting as an Access Point. This is so that a service engineer can access the Inverter without needing to use your home network. It has to be configured to connect to your home network via the Engineer port. Follow the help instruction (search for Setting Up you WiFi Dongle in the GivEnergy Knowledge Base). Note that you cannot set this up over your home network, you have to set it up using an individual wireless device connected through this 'Engineer' channel.

Can you access the set up pages? If so, then what signal strength can you see (step 5 of the instructions)? There's no point going any further until this is sorted.

Shout up if this doesn't make sense.

If it really is a wireless signal strength problem:

If you have an Android phone then download a free WiFi Sniffer App. I use WiFiAnalyzer. There are also similar Apps for Windows devices such as a laptop.

If you can get through this lot and it won't connect and want to try switching off the 5GHz wireless channel, log into the hub and got to the Advanced/Wireless page. There you will see that the two wireless channels have their own On/Off toggle field.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

Tranquilitybase
Dabbler

Many thanks for taking the time to get to grips with my inverter situation and for explaining things so well. I am starting to understand it now.

I have friends arriving for a few days tomorrow. Next week I'll check the WIFI strength using the Wifi Analyzer app you mentioned.

I'll report back in a week or so.

Thanks again......Mike

Tranquilitybase
Dabbler

Hi,

I installed "Wifi Analyzer" app to my phone and checked the strength.

It's 35 - 40 a couple of metres from the router in my hall at the front of the house.

This drops to about 75 next to the dongle on my inverter which is in my garage at the back of the house.

My plan is to make use of the cat6 cable I've installed. This can be connected to my main router and runs into the garage. I'm thinking I can configure my spare Plusnet router to work right next to the inverter dongle.

Is it possible for you to point me in the right direction to be able to do this configuration please? Please remember my skills in this area are limited. I prefer mechanical things really.

Many thanks......Mike