cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router settings changes required for VoIP SIP calls?

cday

Router settings changes required for VoIP SIP calls?

I am interested in making outgoing phone calls from my laptop using a VoIP SIP service on my FTTC broadband.

I wish to leave my Plusnet landline phone exactly as it is so that incoming calls are received as now.

I am therefore looking at setting up a basic VoIP SIP service which would have a different landline number, and wouldn't want  incoming VoIP calls to that number ported to my existing number as there could be call charges.  I wouldn't normally give out that number.  Sound practical?

Technical question: I have some information on laptop firewall changes required, but would any Plusnet Hub Two router settings need to be changed?

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: Router settings changes required for VoIP SIP calls?

You probably want to check that the SIP ALG is disabled ( I think it is by default )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cday

>You probably want to check that the SIP ALG is disabled ( I think it is by default )

Thanks, that's pretty technical, where would I find it please?

Otherwise, my draft plan looks practical?

I wouldn't plan on giving out the VoIP landline number, but if anyone called me on it when I was on my laptop I could presumably take the call.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Log into the router GUI at http://192.168.1.254 and navigate to Advanced Settings > Firewall > Configuration.

Otherwise, my draft plan looks practical?

Yes, sounds fine. What software were you thinking of on the laptop ?

If you've got a smartphone then you could use an app on that as well. I tend to use Zoiper https://www.zoiper.com/ on Android devices.

If you just want to use voip for outgoing calls , then localphone might suit https://www.localphone.com/

You dont have to have an incoming number but you can register your existing landline number to be used as the CLI for outgoing calls, so any incoming calls will still go to your landline but you still benefit from cheap outgoing calls ~0.6p/min to UK landlines

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cday

Many thanks!

>Yes, sounds fine. What software were you thinking of on the laptop ?

I have been using Linux for five years, I've looked at a number of SIP softwares without reaching a firm decision yet.

I installed Blink on my spare laptop to have a look, Flatpak inevitably rather large.  I liked the attractive interface, and although it does much more than my very basic needs, I guess I could probably ignore most of the tabs.

>If you've got a smartphone then you could use an app on that as well. I tend to use Zoiper https://www.zoiper.com/ on Android devices.

My basic problem is that I rarely make enough calls to justify a calls package, either on broadband or the 2G mobile I have for emergencies!  Moderator on two image editing and scanning forums, though.

Zoiper5 Community Edition is available for Linux, but it doesn't seem to be able to view the interface without creating an account. You rate it?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have been using Linux for five years, I've looked at a number of SIP softwares without reaching a firm decision yet.

Zoiper5 Community Edition is available for Linux, but it doesn't seem to be able to view the interface without creating an account. You rate it?

I only use Linux on my desktop, so have never really used any SIP software in anger on Linux. I think I MAY have tried Linphone but cant be sure.

Whilst I use voip (sip) extensively both at home and in the office, that's using sip hardware. I do occasionally use zoiper on my phone when away from home, to connect either to my home voip account or to the office pbx.