cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOGEA and Quiet Line Testing

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

SOGEA and Quiet Line Testing

With the move to SOGEA I understand that the QLT facility has been dropped, which has got me thinking.

First what did the QLT test actually do? Did it short circuit the two cables, add a terminating resistor across the lines or simply remove the dial tone and leave the lines open circuit?

Either way, why shouldn't the same technique still be used to check out for noise on a SOGEA line? Surely simply plugging a phone in to the line and listening for noise would be an effective way of picking up extraneous audible band noise, the harmonics of which could cause speed issues?

Any opinions?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

16 REPLIES 16
Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: SOGEA and Quiet Line Testing

The problem with the QLT is that it was originally intended to be a diagnostic tool for telephone users, 

and later repurposed as something the customer could try on intermittent dial-up and ADSL connections.

With FTTC/SoGEA (much higher frequencies), the better test to be doing is CIDT (Copper Integrated Demand Testing),

that can detect a range of issues, and can identify whereabouts along the line the fault is likely to be.

Plusnet should add a button in the "Member Center" to allow the customer to run a CIDT.

ISP A&A has a "Run PSTN Test"  in their customer "Control Pages" to initiate a CIDT on demand.

There is an interesting topic on the Kitz forum - What Type Of Tests Can ISP Do on your line ? 

Baldrick1

@Anunnaki 

I appreciate the limitations of only being able to monitor the audible band and there are far better tools available to some, but is it better than nothing is my real question?

Moderator and Customer

Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

... but is it better than nothing is my real question?

.. and my point is that if Plusnet had a "PSTN Test" button then that would be better than nothing.

I also think that Plusnet should have a submit "DLM Reset" button in the "Member Centre" - but that will never happen !

Baldrick1

@Anunnaki 

Maybe if we paid premium prices we would get more premium features, but we are where we are. I was hoping to get opinions on whether what I agree is a poor alternative test.method is better than nothing, not a list of the shortcomings of  a budget ISP.

Moderator and Customer

Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

I'm not sure that adding such things would constitute being "premium features",  being a 'budget ISP'  I would have thought that automating tests that the customer could try before resorting to contacting their call centre, would save on staffing costs and wasted support man hours,  ultimately making the service cheaper to run (i.e. MORE budget).

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

I find it hard to believe that BT Group would have more than one testing system for PlusNet, BT and EE, a single investment would be made. Elements of infrastructure is shared. All three offer a text fault reporting system.

"Plusnet should add a button in the "Member Center" to allow the customer to run a CIDT."

" and my point is that if Plusnet had a "PSTN Test" button then that would be better than nothing."

There is a text fault reporting system for landline phones, how would that be different?

"I also think that Plusnet should have a submit "DLM Reset" button in the "Member Centre" - but that will never happen !"

This options could be seen as dangerous, as users who think they know better might continually perform a DLM reset in a misguided belief they will increase the sync speed.

Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

"Plusnet should add a button in the "Member Center" to allow the customer to run a CIDT."

There is a text fault reporting system for landline phones, how would that be different?

I don't have a mobile signal at home and have to walk several streets away to send and receive texts,  whereas my broadband has always worked (even if at lower speeds) when I've had PSTN faults over the last 25 years, so it would be much more convenient to log in to the Member Centre and press a PSTN test button.

The CIDT test returns a detailed report of what it found and what you should do about it. For example -

BT Test CopperLineTest:Fail Line test failed report fault to OR.
fail Line test failed report fault to OR. T023:FAULT - High Resistance DIS fault
BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Pass Standalone sub test passed successfully.Pass Copper Line Test Successful T136:LOOP CONDITION DETECTED (UNPLUG ALL END USER EQUIP and RE-TEST)
BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Fail Line test failed report fault to OR, appointment advised.Fail Line test failed report fault to OR, appointment advised. T024:FAULT - Loop (Rectified)

whereas the Plusnet TEXT 'bot' typically result in "Nothing found" or "Engineer appointment required".

It would be more helpful for customer self fault finding, especially when the fault indicates an "END USER EQUIPMENT" issue, to be able to try various things (such as swapping cables, filter, modems, etc), if there is sight of that level of detail.

Another argument against the current TEXT 'bot' is that since SoGEA,  there have been many reports on this forum of the 'bot' having some issue with not recognising the mobile number registered in the customer's account contact details with the associated copper pair (which itself no longer has a phone number).  Having an additional "PSTN Test" button in the Member Centre would eliminate any doubt as to which line needs to be tested - because there is only one copper pair associated with the member login.

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

"I also think that Plusnet should have a submit "DLM Reset" button in the "Member Centre" - but that will never happen !"

This options could be seen as dangerous, as users who think they know better might continually perform a DLM reset in a misguided belief they will increase the sync speed.

Yes I completely agree.

I think the solution would be have the "DLM Reset" button have a minimum retry period, perhaps ten days, or maybe re-enabled on the monthly billing date.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Anunnaki 

You seem to have lots to say, is everyone on Plant X the same?

Are you a BT group customer?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

@Anunnaki 

You seem to have lots to say, is everyone on Plant X the same?

That appears to be a suggestion that someone is under the influence of possibly illicit substances, which is probably a world away from what you meant to say. Wink

edit: typo

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Anunnaki 

"I don't have a mobile signal at home and have to walk several streets away to send and receive texts"

Do your mobile phone and network not support WiFi Calling?

Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

@Mr_Paul wrote:

Do your mobile phone and network not support WiFi Calling?

Currently the network doesn't,  but I'm told that it might be coming this year.

My mobile ("Cat B35" running KaiOS 2.5.1) has menus for WiFi calling, but without the network support I cant test it yet.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Anunnaki 

Just love productive test, I was suggesting you are from Nibiru also know as Planet X

But I guess you knew anyway 🙄

You didn't answer my question though, I suspect you're not a BT group customer

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

@Anunnaki 

Just love productive test,

I don't use it myself, but predictive text seems to catch some people out ...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@RobPN 

🤔Think you missed my point

"productive test" was supposed to be a poor attempt of "predictive text" correcting poorly spelt "predictive text" 🙄

Sorry @Baldrick1 your well intentioned thread has gone off topic a bit, I apologise for my part, sometimes it's better not to post at all.

See it's been discussed on another thread with some good input