Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hub2 With Powerline & Mesh setups

FIXED
skythepig
Hooked

Using Hub2 With Powerline & Mesh setups

Hi currently have a hub2 with working tp-link powerline system but need to boost Wi-Fi signal around house. Looking at tp-link deco system.

If I want to set up Wi-Fi mesh system as separate network do I plug the master mesh unit into one of the other spare Ethernet ports on hub(powerline plugged into one at moment)

OR do I plug the powerline Ethernet into the master mesh unit?

current setup. Internet~>hub2~>Ethernet to powerline 

new setup. Internet ~>hub2~>Ethernet to powerline

~>Ethernet to mesh Wi-Fi master 

or internet ~>hub2~>Ethernet to mesh Wi-Fi master ~>Ethernet to powerline

sorry about all the questions but trying to get the best out of my home network

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: Using Hub2 With Powerline & Mesh setups

@skythepig  it depends on whether you wish to use the Deco in router mode or access point mode https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2399/

If router mode, then you need to set the Hub 2 in bridge mode and connect as

internet ~>hub2~>Ethernet to mesh Wi-Fi master ~>Ethernet to powerline

In access point mode, connect as

new setup. Internet ~>hub2~>Ethernet to powerline

~>Ethernet to mesh Wi-Fi master 

Note that in router mode you will need to configure the Deco PPPoE with your Plusnet credentials.

In bridge mode the Hub 2 is basically a modem and none of the other facilities such as wifi are operational

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@skythepig 

If you want to get the best out of your netowork then:

1. Ditch the Powerlines and use Ethernet cable all the way.

2. If you get a Mesh set up that includes a router then make sure that it will accept a PPPoE WAN input (most do) and change the |Hub 2 to Bridge mode. This will enable you yo fully use the mesh router facilities without double NATing.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

skythepig
Hooked

Thanks for info. Was going to use deco as access point so hopefully will be a simple integration.

skythepig
Hooked

Thanks, stuck with powerline as it’s an old cottage with 3 ft thick walls every where and installing Ethernet is not on cards at moment.

Powerline is the AV1300 version so am limited by this. Did consider plugging decos into powerline Ethernet sockets to widen Wi-Fi,but not sure if that is going to make matters worse or better.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@skythepig wrote:

Did consider plugging decos into powerline Ethernet sockets to widen Wi-Fi,but not sure if that is going to make matters worse or better.

It costs nothing to try, it's not going to break anything. Using an Ethernet backhaul as this is called can be very beneficial if the  wireless range between Mesh units is marginal.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

skythepig
Hooked

Hi lots of info to try thanks. If I change hub2to bridge mode do I plug master deco into the WAN port on hub or just one of the Ethernet ports.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Fix

Powerline is the AV1300 version so am limited by this. Did consider plugging decos into powerline Ethernet sockets to widen Wi-Fi,but not sure if that is going to make matters worse or better.

Powerlines WILL limit the speed but as to how much depends on the electrical wiring. I tested some AV1300 ones and got >100Mb when on the same electrical circuit but it reduced to ~20Mb when on separate circuits on a split-load CU.

And then, of course, it depends on your broadband speed and requirement for local network traffic ?

If you are on FTTC getting up to 80Mb and you have no need for local traffic e.g file sharing , then a 100Mb powerline isnt a limiting factor. If you have 500Mb FTTP, or do a lot of local network file sharing, it is.

If I change hub2to bridge mode do I plug master deco into the WAN port on hub or just one of the Ethernet ports.

You definitely DONT use the WAN port, just use any of ports 1 to 3.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

skythepig
Hooked

Thanks for all the help. Just ordered a deco set so will have a play to see what is best.