Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win10 Downloads

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Win10 Downloads

Could some kind sole download the Windows MediaCreationTool using Win10 or Win11 and run it to create an ISO file for installing on a USB stick. My machine is 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The tools no longer works on Win7.

I'll PM my email address to save posting the file on this forum - don't even know if it's allowed.

Thanks

Brian

12 REPLIES 12
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Win10 Downloads

@bmc 

The iso file would probably be to large to email, something around 4.5GB if I recall, that is why a 8GB usb stick is required.

I can download an image, just confirm if 10 or 11 required and where to upload it?

bmc
Hero

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks - I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't you just download the Win10_22H2_64_whatever.ISO to your Linux Mint 21 machine,

then in the file manager, right click on the ISO file and choose "Open with Disk Image Writer" to write to a USB flash drive ?

That method works on Ubuntu desktop, and I assume Mint is similar ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

... also,  if you are going to be running Windows 10 on your new NUC in a VM, 

can't you just install straight from the ISO into the VM ?

bmc
Hero

@Anonymous 

To run the MediaCreationTool I need either Win10 (with an internet connection which I don't have due to driver issues) or Win11. It doesn't run now on Win7.

My NUC only has Linux installed and no DVD drive available though that's just raised another thought - can I access my main machine DVD drive via the network now I have the NUC working.

Will need to do some work on that.

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the MediaCreationTool do anything more than writing an ISO to a flash drive, or DVD ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Anonymous 

That is exactly what it does, creates a USB, ISO and the option to burn to DVD

@bmc 

The file is to large to email

Anonymous
Not applicable

So what's the problem with using Linux to write the ISO to a USB flash drive ?  (no DVDs required)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@bmc wrote:

... I need either Win10 (with an internet connection which I don't have due to driver issues) or Win11.

Have you tried downloading the i225-V ethernet drivers from here -

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.h... 

then installing the relevant files via a USB drive ?

bmc
Hero

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for trying - no longer needed (see below).

@Anonymous 

Well, would you Adam & Eve it. That worked.

I'm pretty certain I tried these before but from a saved file. I also think I had unistalled all connected drivers this time so it had a clear run.

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll also be having NUC fun over the next few days, the postie just delivered my latest eBay NUC (£44) and a wireless keyboard, so I've got everything needed for this week's project.  I recently completely gave up watching any live TV, and am using what I previously paid monthly for the TV licence fee to now fund the extra cost of my excellent but expensive A&A broadband.  So I'm now in the process of using cheap low powered NUCs (Celeron J3455) to convert the non-smart TVs to be able to stream Rumble, Odysee, etc from the internet.

Over the next few months, I'm going to rebuild my pfSense router on to the N100 version of this,

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 16-37-19 HUNSN Firewall Appliance.png

and then get the identical looking N305 version for my fanless Proxmox virtual machine server - as Patrick from STH got so excited about !

bmc
Hero

@Anonymous 

I might just be able to save my Linux18 settings. It appears I do have a SSD with a clone copy.

As I've already knacked my dual boot window ( if I click on Win10 I get the blue screen of death - have to use F12 to get to my Win10 SSD) I think what I'll do is install Linux18 on another SSD and then see if I can run the clone.

From memory this means Grub2 will take over my boot menu.

Brian