cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with choosing a new package as out of contract

HilsC

Help needed with choosing a new package as out of contract

Hello

I am unable to get through to an agent by phone as for some reason it doesn't recognise my landline number when I call and asks me to try again (even though I am a long term customer!). So I am asking on here instead.

I am out of contract and finding it confusing as to what package to go for.  So advice is needed please?

I currently pay for 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' including Line Rental and also unlimited UK and mobile calls.  The total I am paying for this out of contract is just over £70.  Way too much!

Obviously with the digital changes to landlines I am not sure what to do as I still need to use a phone that is not a mobile phone, I guess through the broadband somehow as we have virtually no mobile signal here.  So do I need to opt for a Broadband only service and use my phone through the Hub?  Or is this something that will happen later on?

Very grateful for help with this.

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Help needed with choosing a new package as out of contract

@HilsC Any new contract will be 'Broadband Only' (unless you renew only) as PN do not offer a VoIP service. However you could opt for FTTC (without phone) or, if it is available, FTTP (Full Fibre). Your phone will have to be via VoIP in the next 18 months or so anyway, as BT are closing the PSTN network - currently scheduled for December 2025.

Other Community members can advise better on your phone options.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@HilsC 

Login to your PN Members portal and check the phone number shown. I would have thought that they would be able to find your details using your login id.

Hopefully a staff member will pick up this thread and advise.

You can renew your account as is (wih phone) but only be phone.

However at some point in the relative near future (end 2025?) PN will be ending their phone services so you will need to either "port" your number to an independant VOIP provider or change ISP to one who offers both internet and phone as a service (though this would be a VOIP package).

There are many VOIP providers but A&A tend to get good reviews on this Forum. The also have a good FAQ section to explain VOIP.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Have you checked recently what OpenReach offer at your address. You can use the following

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@HilsC 

Plusnet have stopped offering landlines on new contracts.

Depending on how much complexity you would like/are prepared to tolerate there are various options 

1) Move to BT (or another supplier) who do offer a "landline" service via their supplied router. If you have extension wiring it's then up to you to get this connected.

2) Find a supplier who still supports "conventional" landlines (I think Talktalk may do so)

3) Recontract with Plusnet (or someone else) and get a VoIP service then port your landline number.

I am the satisfied customer....