cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet and Telephone problems last night

candnwillis
Dabbler

Internet and Telephone problems last night

Last night just after 9 pm UKT, my internet and phone line went down. My telephone line was not dead as in DEAD but made a lot of crackling noises and kept on going quiet.

I have just read a post about a major outage last night and wondering if any more details were available for my comfort and to maintain my confidence in the system.

Is there somewhere I can see live data about service status to keep up to date without bothering anyone too much?

6 REPLIES 6
Chilternphil
Dabbler

Re: Internet and Telephone problems last night

Went off for us on 13-09-23 at 20:35 and reappeared at 21:54.  I tried a few tests and resets and noticed router had lost network time. Being outside hours I tried to leave a message on the suggested HELP phone number but for whatever reason GiffGaff (contract and with money for extras) still wouldn't deliver a message to this number.

So how do you contact Plusnet without the internet and no texts and the phone support has gone home- I would hope there is some full-time technical oversight.

There used to be a very useful PN Status webpage - you didn't need to access often, but essential when events like last night occur. It answers the question, is it just me, or we all in this together. Helps if one knew that Plusnet were aware of the issue and some estimate of what, and when it would be fixed. Much like the power companies do.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

@candnwillis, the issues last night where with one of the DNS platforms, so wouldn't have any affect on your phone or actual broadband connection.

If you've got noise on your phone, then that is either a problem with your phoneline or internal wiring/equipment.  You're best to raise that over here: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Hey there @candnwillis Is everything ok now with the connection, I checked the line and there is nothing there but obviously with the DNS issue I just want to check in. I can't obviously say it won't happen again but I just need to know everything is ok with it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
candnwillis
Dabbler

Yes, I know what you mean. I usually resort to using my mobile data connection to get to the web. Having a web page would be helpful at least.

candnwillis
Dabbler

My problem was that my internet would not work for either of my laptops or my mobile.

candnwillis
Dabbler

Hello

Thank you for getting in touch.

Yes. Last night my internet connection went down. I did restart my router and could connect to it but could not get any web pages on my W11 Laptop. When I tried my telephone (they're both on a twin socket, not a splitter), it sounded very odd. Very difficult to describe in a reliable way.

As an entirely different matter, I want to replace my old landline telephone. Do I need to look for any specific - BS standard, Kitemerk etc. I'll probably look on Amazon.