cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet upgrade offer gives me less for more

zahidaziz1
Dabbler

Plusnet upgrade offer gives me less for more

Plusnet have sent me a unique upgrade offer.

At present I pay £26.88 per month with a landline included, and a speed range of 33-37Mbps. Plusnet say that by paying £27.99 per month I can move up to get a speed range of, yes, 33-37Mbps, but without a landline!

My current guaranteed speed is 29.2 Mbps. With the upgrade it rises to 30.2 Mbps. I wonder if I will notice the difference the extra 1 Mbps will make!

I have been with Plusnet for several years on the same kind of package. Initially the speed range was described as 45-55 Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 40 Mbps. I used to get about 47.

Then their guaranteed speed dropped to 35 and I used to get 37. Now, as I said, it is 29.9 and I get about 33.

With the guaranteed speed dropping with the passing years, can one look forward to the dial-up speed days? I recall those days when the download speed was 33Kbps, and when I first got ADSL I remember being so excited at getting a 0.5Mbps connection!

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Plusnet upgrade offer gives me less for more

I had the same offer and concluded why pay more for the same speed and service.
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Dan_the_Van 

"why pay more for the same speed and service."

I actually read it as reducing the service!

In the second paragraph, @zahidaziz1 says "but without a landline!"

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Depends how you see it, lesser service for more money
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

I'm not with PN, but my ISP has switched me to a SoGEA service - but I can still use my 'landline' as normal, as the router has an inbuilt ATA. No change to contract price, but as I only have the phone for incoming calls from a couple of people, no 'change of service' so far as I am concerned. By the time I have to change to FTTP, I will probably dispense with the 'landline', i.e. VoIP service altogether.

John