cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random DSL dropouts over 4 months, no solution.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: Random DSL dropouts over 4 months, no solution.

When BTOR look for a fault and do not find one, are they determining that by running tests only from your master socket? Are they also running the eclipse exit test (an automated test from the exchange)? I’ve had a line test clearly in one direction and infer a fault when tested in the other.

Is there a phone service on the line (is there a dial tone) or are you SOGEA?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FishFingers33
Grafter

I’ve no idea whether they just go by running a test on the master socket, or whether they’ve run an eclipse test at the exchange. No, there’s no dial tone.
I’ve just had a phone call from Plusnet, and I’m sorry (not sorry) to say I lost my temper with them, mainly because of the amount of conflicting information I’ve been receiving from their tech department, but also because of the nonsense I’ve been putting up with over the cause of the fault. You wouldn’t believe the amount of rubbish I’ve had to put up with. The latest piece of sht is that on Friday their tech guy said to me he’s going to put me on an 80/20, which I thought was odd as I believe the max I can get at the property is about 43mbps, but he said it would be between 48 and 67. He said it can make my line more stable, which I thought rather odd. The line went live on Saturday and it went up by 3, to 40mbps. This is what I thought would happen. He also said they’d be no extra charge. The tech guy said today that in the background my new 80/20 speed would be classed as a new account and billed appropriately, totally different to what I was told on Friday. From tonight I’ll be brought back to a 40/10 account, as before. Their tech department is all over the place with their info. I was also told it’s down to me when the case will be closed, only when I’m happy they’ll close it. Today I’m now being told something completely different. And now, to satisfy their fault finding plan, they want me to disconnect my BT Wholehome disc (WiFi mesh) for a few days (the tech guy on Friday told me not to bother as it won’t be that that’s causing my issue) to be sure it’s not that that’s causing a dsl drop lol I’m trying to run a business in my property and unless all of my will fi enabled devices are in my living room I cannot use the internet anywhere else in the house and my Airbnb next door. Utter madness.I have seriously had enough of this farce!!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FishFingers33
Grafter

Another piece of conflicting info I received from Plusnet today. Phil on Friday said my fault will stay open until I’m satisfied it has gone, I said 28 days should do considering I’ve had a stable connection for 10 days while I was moving over to Plusnet before it dropped again, he said no issues, Robin this morning said they will now only leave it open for 48hrs if no drop or fault has been detected, this was when I got very annoyed… 

I don’t mind faults appearing, but what I do mind is being told a myriad of conflicting info from Plusnet, Circet visiting and telling me utter nonsense, and OR prolonging the issue with inefficient methods (which was admitted my their engineer), and even suggesting Plusnet can’t see faults on my line when they say they can. It’s not a good look from anyone.

If anyone’s interested here’s a list of my drops from 30th August, although it’s been going on since June.

IMG_0343.jpeg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What observation gives rise to those recordings?

I note that 16th Sept is not listed ... which is when a line test was done ... which is normally intrusive.

In the Hub2 Advance Settings / Technical Log / Event Log - setting the CATEGORY to WAN shows only the DSL session loss / establishment events...

02:13:24, 19 Sep.
WAN Sensing Auto sensing Complete, interface selected
WAN Sensing Auto sensing Running
Success - secondary DNS servers
Success - primary DNS servers
WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM connected
02:13:04, 19 Sep.
DSL Link Up: Down Rate=72435kbps, Up Rate=10088kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.2dB, Up=6.3dB
02:12:56, 19 Sep.
WAN Auto-sensing detected port DSL WAN
02:12:33, 19 Sep.
02:12:32, 19 Sep.
02:12:32, 19 Sep.
WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
02:12:31, 19 Sep.
DSL Link Down: duration was 11058953 seconds
02:17:06, 14 May.
Success - secondary DNS servers
Success - primary DNS servers
WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM connected
02:16:46, 14 May.
DSL Link Up: Down Rate=69625kbps, Up Rate=8214kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=6.0dB
02:16:38, 14 May.
WAN Auto-sensing detected port DSL WAN
02:16:15, 14 May.
WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
02:16:13, 14 May.
DSL Link Down: duration was 2121375 seconds
13:00:26, 19 Apr.
13:00:25, 19 Apr.

Check the red marked records against your log.  If they match then there might be disconnections not registering with Plusnet.  If they do not match (no loss of DSL for your recordings) then what you are seeing is not caused by line drops ... and a different culprit needs to be identified.

A comparison of the start SNRM (marked blue) to the current SNRM might be informative.

FishFingers33
Grafter

The observations are done by the router WAN log, as you’ve said I select the WAN section only and check the drops on there, then I log them.
My logs say exactly the same thing as yours, no different.

FishFingers33
Grafter

After 4 months of repeated visits by various engineers my issue has cleared, it was quite possibly the last visit by OR nearly 3 weeks ago that sorted it. OR remade a joint on top of a pole (which they original thought wasn’t my line) and also replaced the master socket with a vfast socket, which I believe has a better RF filter on it. I haven’t had a dropout that I couldn’t answer for since then, which is great news. 
I don’t mind problems happening, but what I do mind is being told a myriad of conflicting information by Plusnet, OR and Circet. This has the potential to extend the issue, which is unacceptable. Plus the hours I have spent dealing with this is extraordinary. I’d complain, but I’m worn out, totally and utterly worn out of the situation. Just happy it’s now cleared itself.