cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost folders in Webmail Mail page and boxes are grey in Settings/Folder page

Bright8
Grafter

Lost folders in Webmail Mail page and boxes are grey in Settings/Folder page

Can someone please tell me why the bottom 3 folders (archive, deleted items and sent items) have disappeared from 'Mail' page in webmail and how to get them back to see whats in them and delete them..

ALso, when I go to the Folders page in Settings to see the size of each folder they reappear and I can then tell there is something in them but I can't get access to them because they are not on the Mail page. And as for the folders that stayed on the Mail page (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Deleted) I can't find out what the size of each folder is because the boxes are 'greyed' out.so I can't 'tick' the box.  Any idea how to 'ungrey' them?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: Lost folders in Webmail Mail page and boxes are grey in Settings/Folder page

Just to clarify - you can see the folders in manage folders.

They are grey, unticked and you cannot tick them?

Have you deleted them previously?

NOTE: the management pages do not function well. Three clicks at anything on that page and it stops responding - you will need to do a page refresh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bright8
Grafter

Re: Lost folders in Webmail Mail page and boxes are grey in Settings/Folder page

Hi, thanks for responding.

I tried to attach snips but they are too big apparently.

On the Mail page I can only see 5 folders (inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk Deleted) but, yes, in manage folders I can see all 8 (that includes archive, sent and deleted). I can tick archive, sent and deleted and see the size of them and how many messages are there but I can't get into them in the Mail page so I can't delete them. 

As for the first 5 folders I can see the emails in Mail but I can't untick/ungrey them in Folders so that I can see the size.

I haven't deleted any folders as I don't know how to do it (unless i did it accidently and didnt realise. No idea how to re=create them.) I have refreshed and logged out and in and tried different browsers

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

I have tried recently to see the size and you have to just keep clicking by the looks of it. A bit like @Townman said they don't function well really. Is there any chance you could set it up on a client? You'll get a better experience that way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@Bright8 

Folders are greyed out - makes me wonder what the permissions are on those folders... a bit of a sledge hammer, but it has been seen to help resolve an issue which went on for weeks with no meaningful progress...

Test IMAP access

Testing IMAP connectivity through a command line interface might deliver a more precise error messages than provided by an email client. The following describes how to do this using TELNET which might be a productive approach to diagnosing mailbox issues and addressing email issues. See...

Here are the steps I took to play with one of my mailboxes and successfully delete mail items from the sent folder.  My input is in the boxes, responses below them.

Run up a CMD PROMPT or Windows Terminal session.

telnet imap.plus.net 143

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1] perdition ready on mail.plus.net 00029cec

01 login email_name account_password

01 OK LOGIN Ok.

02 list "" *

* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Test Folder 1"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Spam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\Marked \HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
02 OK LIST completed

03 select "INBOX.Sent"

* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 653548812] Ok
* OK [MYRIGHTS "acdilrsw"] ACL
03 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok

04 STATUS INBOX.Sent (MESSAGES)

* STATUS "INBOX.Sent" (MESSAGES 1)
04 OK STATUS Completed.

07 close

07 OK mailbox closed.

08 logout

* BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
08 OK LOGOUT completed

Connection to host lost.
PS C:\Users\me>

Notes:

1. I found it very helpful to have a WEBMAIL session open on the mailbox whilst doing this
  2. The command interface is totally unforgiving - back space looks like it might work if you type a mistake, but your error will be recorded already, you'll need to type the command again
  3. Commands to IMAP must be prefixed by something - anything - the use of a number sequence above has no significance beyond being helpful to refer to steps as per the below...
  4. Detailed guidance...
    • 01 The email_name should be
      • the plusnet account name if it is the default mailbox
      • plusnet_account_name+mailbox_name if it is a secondary mailbox
    • 03 Check that your rights to the the problem folders matches those above marked in red - this could be the cause of your issue - repeat the command for each of the greyed out folders
    • 04 Tells you how many messages are in the folder
  5. The detail of MYRIGHTS in 03 might indicate why the folders are greyed out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.