cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

eco589

The connection for this site is not secure

secure.transaveuk.co.uk uses an unsupported protocol.

The error above has been noted on the forums previously for youtube and also plusnet, perhaps others as well. When phoning plusnet they are unfortunately remarkably unhelpful. The reality is that when using a different wifi, or my mobile phone hotspot the error doesn't occur. It also doesn't occur when using my work laptop because of a VPN (I guess!). Anyway, can someone kindly look into this and fix it for me.
5 REPLIES 5
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Re: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

If I remember correctly, the issue with this happening on the plus.net website was because of the certificate used on their webservers, and a change that had been made to the default settings in Google Chrome, so if it is the same thing then it is not something that Plusnet could fix.

From having a quick look at their certificate (and memories of the discussion when it was happening with Plusnet), then it could be the same issue.  Part of their certificate chain uses SHA1, which is what Chrome was blocking if I remember correctly:

transaveuk cert.PNG

If what I suspect is correct, then the only people who can fix it are whoever look after the transaveuk.co.uk website.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eco589

Thanks, but why does it work on

a) my other work pc (with a VPN)

b) when I change my wifi to my hotspot on my phone.

Both of the above suggest at least it is a plusnet issue doesn't it?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

So the other times you've tried are with different devices?  

If I remember correctly, when this was being reported by people about plus.net, it was only when using Chrome as the browser, where an update had changed one of the settings to not support SHA1 (due to it being old and significantly less secure).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eco589

Not always, if I use the same device but use change my internet connection it works fine. hence it must be plusnet, in my view.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@eco589  What browser are you using? The site loads correctly for me on a Plusnet connection on Windows 10 with MS Edge.