cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Plusnet?

N7ck
Grafter

End of Plusnet?

Strange question, but when the digital phone line switch over happens, will Plusnet cease to exist?

That's what BT told my mother, so she switched over to BT.

Is that true or has she been lied to?
8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: End of Plusnet?

She has been lied to, @N7ck . Under the current plans, Plusnet is to be the budget Internet-only brand of the BT Consumer Division, and will only be providing that service - so no integrated phone service, email or extra services.

You are not the first person who has been fed this garbage by BT 'advisors', won't be the last, and to my mind, this needs stamping out.

John
Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

This article summarises what many people believe - That won’t do? Plusnet’s future under review 

It's not difficult to imagine, that if a large number of Plusnet customers with landline phones, left on mass when they're faced with losing their landline or switching to third party VoIP,  that it would be a convenient time for BT to simply transfer what remains of Plusnet's customer accounts to EE.

Having over recent years watched the removal of many product features (including VoIP !), the reduction in support staff, then shutting down Plusnet TV, then Plusnet mobile, then Plusnet business, and now not providing "Digital Voice" as a landline replacement,  my bet is that Plusnet will cease to exist by the end of 2025 (coincident with the landline phone switch off).

jab1
Legend

A 2022 article, which has been superseded by later announcements. Although I have abandoned the BT Group, I continue to watch what they are doing, which is effectively reverting to the position and habits of GPO Telephones of many years ago.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

That article is nearly two years old! Don't you think that as part of the review, it's been considered what proportion of the customer base actually want a landline !!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

I guess it depends on your definition of 'recent' PN VoIP product was phased out almost a decade ago.
The article you quoted is a couple of years old and a survey around that time shows:
"As a result, 40% of us have stopped using a landline phone altogether, according to new survey from price comparison site Uswitch.

And while 95% of over-65-year-olds still have a traditional phone, nearly half of under-25s don't even have a landline installed."
So the end of plusnet because someone wants a landline?  Very doubtful.

The turning of PN into a broadband only service, very much so.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

@jab1 wrote:

Plusnet is to be the budget Internet-only brand of the BT Consumer Division, and will only be providing that service - so no integrated phone service, email or extra services.

For many years Plusnet have been providing broadband almost at cost price,  their minimal profit has mostly come from having a large mark-up  on line rental costs, and expensive phone call rates.  With the withdrawal of the phone service and the transition to FTTP likely to be almost complete in 2026,  how will Plusnet make any profit just reselling broadband ?

jab1
Legend

@Anunnaki PN are no longer a separate company - they are the budget broadband brand of the BT Consumer Division, with EE being the premium arm.

John
Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro

@N7ck wrote:

... ...  That's what BT told my mother, so she switched over to BT.

If your mother was with Plusnet for presumably broadband and phone,  what were the circumstances for her to be talking to BT ?

@N7ck wrote:

Is that true or has she been lied to?

Is she still in an initial 'cooling off' period with her new contract if you're not happy with the circumstances of her move ?