Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drilling location

FIXED
albridge
Hooked

Drilling location

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to receive the go-ahead for the drilling from my landlord and he wants to know, where exactly they going to make a hole. I realise that it is hardly may be specified before the engineer visit, but may be some rules or best practices are known? For example, may I choose any room and any external wall of the flat or it should be strictly the shortest path from the existing fiber equipment?
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Drilling location

@albridge Is this an overhead or underground link? Which floor are you on?

John
albridge
Hooked

It is the first floor of the four-storey house.
jab1
Legend

Is it an underground or overhead (pole) feed?

John
albridge
Hooked

I have no idea. How can I check it?
jab1
Legend

OK. How is your current connection made - overhead or underground. I'm no great expert on FTTP, but if it is underground,I think you should see a sheath on the building at ground level.

@MisterW  - help. 😉

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

If there's a wire going from a telegraph pole to the house , then it's overhead 

Where is the current master socket located ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@albridge 

Put your phone number in the following. You need to see WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

More to the point for this topic is look below the results window. There should be a narrative about FTTP including UG or OH feed and if any problems are expected.

Brian

albridge
Hooked

Thank you for the answers. Unfortunately my landlord finally declined to drill any wall. Instead he suggests to set up the Internet using the existing Openreach BT box.
I have just entered the UK and some things are new for me here, therefore I want to ask what should I do further. The box looks like the phone line for me, hovewer I don't have phone number. Can Plusnet set up the the Internet in this case? Should I cancel the engineer's visit or change something in my order?
jab1
Legend

Can get the phone number - you must have known it to be able to place the order, anyway?

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@albridge 

Try an alternative version of the Checker.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Enter your Post Code only and select your address from the drop down list.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

you must have known it to be able to place the order, anyway?

Not necessarily if it was an FTTP order.

Unfortunately my landlord finally declined to drill any wall. Instead he suggests to set up the Internet using the existing Openreach BT box. 

If WBC FTTP is available, then that might not be possible! If the exchange is Fibre priority then no orders for copper based products will be accepted by Openreach

As @bmc suggested , a look at the results from the checker would be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Didn't think of your first point - sorry. Not quite up to speed with the FTTP route yet, as is still about three years away - if I'm lucky - for me.

John
albridge
Hooked

@bmc, @MisterW thanks for the link and for the explanation.

WBC FTTP is available, but the exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme. VDSL is available. Does it means I can set up the Internet using the existing line and equipment as my landlord wants? What changes should I make in my FTTP order?

jab1
Legend

@albridge I'll leave it to @bmc  / @MisterW  to answer, but I am a little confused. That doesn't sound quite correct to me. Could you post a screenshot of where you got that information, obscuring any phone number/address, please?

John