Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Full Fibre from FTTC Using Hub 2 in Bridge Mode

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Moving to Full Fibre from FTTC Using Hub 2 in Bridge Mode

Hi,

I'm moving next Tuesday to the Full Fibre 500. Currently I'm on FTTC with a Hub 2 which I have in bridge mode to Asus RT-AX86U. I take it that as the ONT is the actual modem that means the Hub 2 will be redundant and instead I should just plug my red cable (cat 5e) into the ONT Port / LAN 1 and the other end into my router in internet port which currently connects to my Hub 2. It should just work, once it gets its connection, as all is already configured on the router for PPPoE.

Anything else to be aware off? I understand I will lose my number which I'm fine with though would have preferred to port as I've long since had a VOIP number with Sipgate and a Localphone account that has a bit of credit on it if I ever need to make VOIP calls. I'd have replaced that one with mine but not a big deal in the end.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: Moving to Full Fibre from FTTC Using Hub 2 in Bridge Mode

I take it that as the ONT is the actual modem that means the Hub 2 will be redundant and instead I should just plug my red cable (cat 5e) into the ONT Port / LAN 1 and the other end into my router in internet port which currently connects to my Hub 2. It should just work, once it gets its connection, as all is already configured on the router for PPPoE.

@andun84 you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure whether Openreach are supplying the new 4 port ONT yet though, so you may well get a single port ONT. In which case there's no choice of ports, so its even simpler!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ksaro1
Rising Star

@andun84 wrote:

It should just work, once it gets its connection, as all is already configured on the router for PPPoE.

Yes and no. FTTC uses VLAN tagging and Full Fibre doesn't. So, you should remove your VLAN ID in the PPPoE config once you connect to the ONT. Otherwise your connection won't work. But, other than that all should work fine.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

@ksaro1 In general you're right that the router may have VLAN tagging , but in this case ( and others where the OR modem is used ) it can't have , since the Hub 2  in bridge mode ( or OR modem ) will be performing the VLAN tagging.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@andun84 - you shouldn't need to make any config changes to the Asus unit.

I have an RT-AX86S which is practically the same device and it works how you propose on my FTTP connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andun84
Rising Star

Thanks everyone for confirming.

Let's hope they'll play ball and put it where I want it. They'll have to come in a different way anyway as the landline comes in the back of the house however the street box for my property is at the end of my garden at the front. So they'll have to come in the front. I'd like upstairs rather than downstairs. There already a hole drilled for Sky cables so they can drill next to that and there's an extension lead next to that anyway with plenty of spare sockets.