cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Virgin Media but want to keep Plusnet during transfer - can I still transfer phone number?

dunners74

Moving to Virgin Media but want to keep Plusnet during transfer - can I still transfer phone number?

Hi, I'm (considering) moving to Virgin Media because of speed. Aiming to make the move as smooth as possible as my partner and I both rely on broadband for home working, so I am thinking of keeping both services running in parallel for a couple of weeks at least.

Will I be able to transfer my phone number to VM without affecting my Plusnet service or is the broadband tied to a specific phone number?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Moving to Virgin Media but want to keep Plusnet during transfer - can I still transfer phone num

@dunners74 Simple answer - Broadband is tied to a phone number, so if you move it to Virgin, it will cancel your Plusnet service.

You could I suppose get the Virgin installation done, with a new phone number, but you would not be able to transfer your old number across later - AFAIK, but one of the Help Team may know more.

John
dunners74

Re: Moving to Virgin Media but want to keep Plusnet during transfer - can I still transfer phone num

Ok, thank you. To be on the safe side then perhaps I'll just change number. Rarely use the damn thing anyway!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @dunners74, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear you are looking to leave us Sad if there's any support we can offer you (though I appreciate we don't offer the same speeds as what Virgin can) then please just let us know.

What @jab1 has advised you there is correct, the broadband is tied to your phone number so porting it over would cancel your service with us. In theory, if all goes well though you should only have a couple of hours max downtime but I can understand the importance of the service being consistent when working from home.

Again as John has mentioned, whilst your phone number is still active with us, there shouldn't be any reason why Virgin can't then request to port our number over to them once your service with them is live. I believe though, that the process would be same as it would if it was the other way round and there can't be a cease order in place on our line otherwise this would prevent the port.

Hope this makes sense but let us know if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
dunners74

Thank you for your very helpful answer. 

Yes I'm afraid service speed is the deciding factor as we have a lot of devices to manage in the house! Thank you again 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

No worries!

I can certainly understand that Smiley and do wish you all the best with your move. If you have any further queries at all, please don't hesitate to get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team