cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second attempt to move to FTTP queries

Markwallwork0
Grafter

Second attempt to move to FTTP queries

Hi all. Moved to Plusnet last year and went for 300MB FTTP which was new to area. Unfortunately I had told  BT I was leaving and for some reason the cut off my FTTC connection early 3 days before FTTP was due to be installed. Openreach came out on the day installed my Ont box externally and internally but could not connect me due a blocked duct between the street and my house . This rumbled on a few days and I had no internet so decided as no date could be provided for the work to switch to fttc again, SOGEA. That took another 2 weeks to sort out but that’s another story….

anyway I now have a good 72MB stable connection but looking at my renewal for next year doesn’t appear this is being offered anymore as the exchange is FTTP priority. So looks like I’ll have to order FTTP to get a good deal even though I’m happy with the speeds of my current setup . I have some questions 

1. if I put an FTTP order in will openreach already know about the blocked duct and sort this before giving me a date or will I end up with an engineer coming in again only to go away to get someone to do the work 

2. can the Ont box already installed be used?

3. can I keep router and not have to change the WiFi around the house Its a Plusnet home hub 2

4 most importantly can Plusnet Guarrentee they won’t kill my fttc line until the fttp is in and running even this takes several weeks 

16 REPLIES 16
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Second attempt to move to FTTP queries

@Markwallwork0 

I believe you can renew "as is" if you phone PN (try PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632).

You can upgrade to FTTP any time you like - you don't need to wait until your contract renewel (though it would cost a new contract).

One would think OR would have noted the blocked duct - have a look at the following. What does it say about FTTP (to the right of WBC FTTP and below the results window).

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The Hub2 is currently PN's choice or router. It simply gets connected by ethernet cable via the RED WAN socket. If you do have to change router all you need to do is change the WiFi credentials on the Router to match what you already use.

The installed ONT will be used.

If you go for FTTP make sure PN are aware of the previous attempt, that you have an ONT installed but there's a blocked duct.

Brian

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

A lot of the above is accurate although I'd put limited stock in openreach already knowing about the blocked duct-I've had engineers who weren't aware what happened a week before let alone a year (whether that's the individual not reading notes or there being no record I don't know but either way!)

However unlike before when you moved from BT to PN and your cancel with BT and provide with Plusnet were separate orders, an upgrade within Plusnet should mean the removal of FTTC and install of FTTC are synced together-your current service wouldn't be switched off at Plusnet until the fttp was confirmed up and running by openreach.

All I would say of you go for it is A, ensure the fttp install has an engineer booking (openreach may try a remote activation if they think everything is already there). This should happen automatically as the test upon order should fail (since there's no fibre cable yet!) and default to engineering. If you don't get an engineer appointment offered you'll hit issues going ahead so if you do upgrade, organise it over the phone.

Second, when the engineer turns up tell them directly about the blocked duct before they start anything. Too many times I've seen engineers assume everything's good and remove the copper line only to then realise they can't install the fibre. If the problems still there then they should put the fttp order into delay and keep the existing service live whilst the blockage is cleared.
Markwallwork0
Grafter

Hi apologies as I no longer have a telephone number how do I find out the details of the other two Ida’s?

bmc
Hero

@Markwallwork0 

If you're talking about the Checker use the Address verson - enter your post code only and select your address from the drop down list.

Brian

Markwallwork0
Grafter

Thanks right I’ve checked that it said fttp was available
Install 1 stage doesn’t mention anything about my blocked duct so the open reach engineer mustn’t have made any notes . Great
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

On the plus side if it's showing a 1 stage then it means openreach don't have a record of an installed ONT. Good thing is it means it'll definitely go as a booked engineer to the home so you can make sure they don't cut off the sogea line before sorting the ducts for fttp.

Honestly this is probably the best realistic outcome-at least an engineer will ID the issue and should keep you running in the interim rather than an attempted activation based on records, cutting you off before it's ready.
Markwallwork0
Grafter

True although I begrudge having to contribute at all as I have a perfectly fast sogea connection .
Not sure isps should be stopping refreshing orders for customers on fttp . Reality is if Openreach want everywhere they should cable it themselves then offer it rather this way of getting to go through a load of faff by stealth . My mate has had it done and had same issue his neighbour then ordered and they had to come out and dig up the road again . This seems a really poor quality and expensive way to roll this out .
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

To be honest it'll depend on the exact situation at the time, but right now it's FTTP priority, but not closing. Right now that just means any new order would have to be FTTP.

Of course you wouldn't actually need to place an order, you could just renew your existing service. Since there's no actual order through openreach for that you're not impacted by the stop sell and should be able to stay SOGEA.

Of course a years time enough something may change there, and since there's almost an inevitably that at some point we'll all have to go FTTP maybe it's best to just bite the bullet and get it done anyway especially if as it stands there's no current rush before the copper aspect shuts down. Duct clearing depending on where it is isn't as quick a job as one would think especially if it involves any kind of permits to dig.
Markwallwork0
Grafter

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking . I had to wait 3 weeks last year just because my copper had been removed at local cabinet and was a right faff getting the order through . I don’t fancy even risking having an outage when i wfh and of course all my tv and music is just fine . I might wait to see how expensive it is to renew via the phone then . I save a few quid on what I’m on now with fttp but honestly can’t be bothered with the hassle . Annoying thing is houses across the road get their fttp via a pole which is far easier to sort out
bmc
Hero

@Markwallwork0 

As I've said before, you may be able to renew "as is" by phoning in and asking.

As regards to FTTP, I was particurally interested in exactly what it says about FTTP below the Checker results window.

Brian

Markwallwork0
Grafter

InfoInfo

Markwallwork0
Grafter

This is the full info 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

1. if I put an FTTP order in will openreach already know about the blocked duct and sort this before giving me a date or will I end up with an engineer coming in again only to go away to get someone to do the work 

The above data shows that the blocked duct has not been recorded, so this will cause you issues in the future.

2. can the Ont box already installed be used?

My understanding is that the internal ONT has a serial number that is associated with the connection, so will quite possibly need  changing.

3. can I keep router and not have to change the WiFi around the house Its a Plusnet home hub 2

Yes.

4 most importantly can Plusnet Guarrentee they won’t kill my fttc line until the fttp is in and running even this takes several weeks 

Such a guarantee is not in Plusnet's gift. You would have to talk to the Openreach installer. This could be problematic if your current copper connection is using the existing blocked duct that has to be dug up and repaired. Alternatively, you would have to negotiate with Openreach for them to install a new duct, presumably across your property.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic. You can of course keep your current SOGEA line until such time as Openreach decide to close down copper based services in your area.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

@Markwallwork0 

Thanks for the information.

As already stated, it does not appear OR know about the blocked duct or the installed ONT.

If you do go for FTTP make sure PN know the situation and inform the OR installer on the day when they show up. Once an installer is onsite they may have to cancel the job and pass it onto an OR groundworks team to sort out the duct. He might check the serial number on the ONT (if you ask nicely) to see if that's registered at all.

Brian