Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer

FIXED
Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Domain transfer

Following Plusnet's decision to cease business support and BT informing me that they cannot perform a managed transfer, it seems that my best strategy is to transfer my domain to a registrar who is independent of my ISP. Then I can either transfer my broadband to BT or another Plusnet contract without interrupting my domain services.

I cannot see any facility for me to arrange the domain transfer out myself. I need to change the registrar ID at Nominet from FORCE9 to my a new provider. Is there someone at Plusnet reading this who can put my in touch with tech support to arrange this? 

16 REPLIES 16
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Re: Domain transfer

Fix

Hey there @Dippy

I can sort it for you. Do you want to pop me over your username via PM please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
mikep
Dabbler

I am in the same situation. I will need to transfer my domain away from plusnet as we are also a business customer. I wish to transfer the domain coalsearch.plus.com to fasthosts as i have other sites registered with them but they say that the coalsearch.plus.com is a subdomain and cannot be transfered. Plus net help desk tell me that they can give me all the information i need to transfer the domain if i give them fasthosts ipstag? fasthosts say that ipstag relates to .co.uk domains and in any event subdomains cannot be transferred. I appear to be going round in circles, can someone help with some clear instructions on how to deal with a transfer of domain away from plusnet.

many thanks

Mike

Dippy
Grafter

plus.com is Plusnet's domain, owned by BT. Is your domain coalsearchplus.com?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

I wish to transfer the domain coalsearch.plus.com to fasthosts as i have other sites registered with them but they say that the coalsearch.plus.com is a subdomain and cannot be transfered.

They are correct , it is a subdomain of plus.com and cannot be transferred.

Plus net help desk tell me that they can give me all the information i need to transfer the domain if i give them fasthosts ipstag?

I'm afraid they're talking rubbish on two counts, one :- an IPSTAG is only applicable to .uk domains and two:- see above

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikep
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back to me. As you may have gathered i am not a tech expert in any way shape or form but the email have i had from plusnet telling me that after 17 years of being a business customer we are no longer wanted stats;

"

Will I be able to keep my domain?

When you move Broadband provider, Plusnet will no longer be able to host your domain. You can move your domain to another company that hosts domains, or your new broadband provider may be able to host this for you. We recognise how important domains are to your business, so give us a call to discuss your options. "

So that is not correct?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@MisterW The site is actually coalsearchplus.com as queried by @Dippy   Does that make a difference i.e. not a subdomain.🤔

mikep
Dabbler

I also have the domain coalsearchplus.com but on the basis of the information from plusnet help and the email they sent regarding the ditching on business customers they categorically say that the xxxx.plus.com can be transferred away. I have been with them so long that they host my web site although we point to the domain without the dot. I still have clients who cant seem to move away from the .plus.com address. If it cant be done then so be it butsomeone at plusnet needs to provide correct guidance and information.

Dippy
Grafter

@mikep if your website is coalsearchplus.com then that is the domain you need to transfer.

The contact page shows e-mail to coalsearch.plus.com which is for a subdomain of your ISP. You will lose that. You should have setup mail to redirect @coalsearchplus.com to @coalsearch.plus.com to avoid this. But that's hindsight.

I am in a similar position and I got advice to move my domain, DNS and e-mail service to a company which is independent of my ISP, so that changing ISP does not impact my domain or e-mail. You will have to bite the bullet now and change your e-mail to @coalsearchplus.com once you have transferred your domain and set up a new e-mail service.

In my case my domain (which is a .org.uk) is held by Nominet which uses (or used to use) "IPSTAG" to indicate the registrar. Since yours is a .com it is a different organisation (I don't know which), but the principle is the same - you need Plusnet to make the change from themselves as registrar to your new provider (and as I noted, best not another ISP).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RealAleMadrid if the site is coalsearchplus.com then yes, that makes a big difference. That CAN be transferred BUT not by changing the IPSTAG. It's a .com domain, it will need an EPP code.

However I'm not convinced is coalsearchplus.com since the rDNS for that shows as mailgate.locksystems.co.uk

whereas the rDNS for coalsearch.plus.com is correct and the IP is in the 80.229... Plusnet static IP range

edit: seems my reply has been overtaken by previous posts

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In my case my domain (which is a .org.uk) is held by Nominet which uses (or used to use) "IPSTAG" to indicate the registrar. Since yours is a .com it is a different organisation (I don't know which), but the principle is the same - you need Plusnet to

That's correct, transfer of .uk domains is done by the current registrar changing the IPSTAG to the new one. All other domains are controlled by ICANN (IIRC) and are transferred using EPP codes. You get the EPP code from the current registrar and supply it to the new one.

mikep
Dabbler

Thanks all. You have all confirmed what I thought was the case, the xxx.plus.com cannot be transferred, i had hoped that i was wrong as Plusnet's people have stated on more than one occasion that it could be. ?Time to start editing websites, changing headers and footers and educating clients.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As an aside , I've asked in the SU space for someone at PlusNet to review the information being provided in communications and by support to ensure that correct advice is being given in relation to domains.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

There is some possibility of the hearer taking the affirmation that (in this example) that the ability to transfer THEIR domain coalsearchplus.com also means that the host name coalsearch.plus.com can also be “extricated” from Plusnet’s domain space. *.plus.com are not domain names - they are host names.

Has any one asked if their business account can be regraded to a residential account? These days, there is no meaningful difference between business and residential - certainly not what businesses really need - priority rectification of connectivity issues.

Dippy
Grafter

@Townman based on my experience neither Plusnet or BT staff have any information regarding the situation whereby Plusnet business customers may face disruption when the planned end of support is implemented. In my case I have been with Plusnet since they acquired my previous ISP and I have experienced the journey from no internet, to analogue dial-up and through the development of ADSL. The reason I have a business account is that when Plusnet first introduced so-called "superfast" broadband it was only available as a business contract. I stayed on it due to inaction on my part and because of my domain.

I would have already transferred to BT business had they offered a managed service. But the person I spoke to said that BT don't handle domain registration. Of course I knew that they do, but it became clear that I would have to arrange things myself. That's when I learned what I should have years ago - that it is best to have domain registration independent of broadband provider. Once I have my transfer sorted I shall switch from my Plusnet business contract to a regular home one, because I also realised that there are no meaningful differences any more.