Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misled / Missold / Slow Speeds / Early Termination

Ed77
Hooked

Misled / Missold / Slow Speeds / Early Termination

Hiya pals

After being a long and loyal customer of Plusnet for over 15 years, things have taken a turn for the worst and I'm not happy. 

Recent interactions with the customer services have been disappointing and misleading and make me think I have been misled and missold. 

I recently switched to the Fibre offering and signed up for 18 months. When signing up to it, I asked if the current works being done in my street would mean I could switch to Full Fibre when available, I was told that I would easily be able to. 

When phoning customer services to ask if I would be connected to full fibre I was told that it isn't currently available (apart from via the independent third party suppliers who put the pole in) but that Openreach would install in a couple of months and then I would be switched on to it. 

This has turned out not to be the case and doing more research it's clear that Openreach won't be putting any full fibre in my neighbourhood during the time I'm in contract. 

Because of this, I feel misled as well as missold to, and now tied into a contract with early exit fees if I do want to leave. I don't view this as very fair at all, especially after more than 15 years of loyalty. 

Can anyone advise please if this is enough of a case to be released from early exit fees? 

Also, my fibre is listed as 50mbs and I never get anywhere near that, especially not upstream.

Can anyone advise please on how consistenly low the speeds need to be in order to be released from early exit fees and contract? 

Thanks for your time and help. 

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 517

Re: Misled / Missold / Slow Speeds / Early Termination

I can't answer the first part but if you put your telephone number or address here then then on the resultant page you can see the Downstream Handback Threshold. If this is lower than the speed test result here then you should report a fault. If dialling 17070 on your telephone and selecting option 2 you hear noise then report a phone fault first.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Ed77 I can't help with the main part of your post - that will have to be answered by a Plusnet staff member, but as regards your current speeds, can you post the results of either of the following, and what are your current observed speeds?

BT Broadband or https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome (if you are on a product which doesn't include a phone service).

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Hi there @Ed77 I'm really sorry if we've given you the wrong advice on this, fibre upgrades in any given area doesn't always mean an Openreach service so if that assumption was on our part I'm so sorry. 

I've taken ownership of this as a complaint for you and I'll take a listen to the calls where we discussed this with you to see if any feedback needs to be passed on. 

With regards to your speeds at the moment tests don't show any obvious causes but I do see that speeds are much lower than they should be. 

So we can get that sorted out can you send over photos of the front and rear of the router and also the socket where it connects into the wall please?

I tried calling just now, there was no answer so I'll try again tomorrow. 

Adam - Plusnet Sheffield

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ed77
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the call. I'll provide photos when I am able to. 

The assumptions on your behalf is what made me sign a contract, so I think that does need to be discussed and acted upon. 

Please do call again tomorrow so we can talk. 

Thanks again. 

Ed77
Hooked

Hiya, I followed the frist link to show what services are available to my property but how do I know which one of those I'm on? 

Ed77
Hooked

Address REDACTED
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low      
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 40 27.4 7.2 5.3 25 Unavailable Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 39.1 24.9 7.1 4.7 20 Unavailable Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) help -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) help -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 15 -- 8 to 19 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 15 Up to 1.5 8 to 19 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 15.0 -- 8.0 to 19.0 Available
SOADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8.0 Available
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction N

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

Thank you for your interest

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Ed77 wrote:

Hiya, I followed the frist link to show what services are available to my property but how do I know which one of those I'm on? 

Your Members Centre should detail this somewhere - I can't check for exactly where as I am no longer with PN, and therefore don't have access to some the MC areas.

John