cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease Order help

FIXED
stokesy1001

Cease Order help

Hello, apologies if this is in the wrong place, a bit confused by everything.

I've just (yesterday) taken up a new Fiber package, to replace the current broadband we have (which is offered by Sky).

Sky's T's+C's said to get in touch if switching to a fiber provider which I am obviously doing, and due to a cease on the line (placed by Sky) Plusnet have emailed me saying there is a delay on my order. The Sky line should cease on 03/04 and the Engineer was slated to visit on 04/04. Does this mean that I'll be potentially offline for a longer period of time? This seems a bit bonkers...

Do I get in touch with Sky to ask them to cancel this cease order and rely on Plusnet sorting out the switch themselves, even though I was told by Sky to get in touch with them if performing this type of switch...

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Cease Order help

@stokesy1001 When you order Full fibre from Plusnet it asks if you wish to keep any existing services. As long as you don't answer yes, then Plusnet will take over and cease any existing copper based services. So you did not need to ( and should not have ) informed Sky. I don't know why Sky told you you should ? Maybe they were confusing it with transferring to a non Openreach supplier such as Virgin.

The Sky line should cease on 03/04 and the Engineer was slated to visit on 04/04. Does this mean that I'll be potentially offline for a longer period of time? This seems a bit bonkers...

Do I get in touch with Sky to ask them to cancel this cease order and rely on Plusnet sorting out the switch themselves, even though I was told by Sky to get in touch with them if performing this type of switch...

Im assuming the existing Sky broadband is a phone line based one ? If the Sky line doesnt cease till 03/07 ( I assume the 03/04 is a typo?) then Plusnet will not be able to place a takeover order until then. There's then likey to be a 10 to 14 day wait for the Fibre install. They MAY be able to change their order to just install Full fibre without taking over the existing line, which will then cease as requested by Sky.

I suggest you call Plusnet to see what can be done ? if they can't change the order, then cancelling the cease by SKy might be the only option.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stokesy1001

@MisterW 

Thanks for taking the time to type out your reply, much appreciated.

Not sure why Sky asked me to get in touch, lesson learnt there I guess. I'll give Plusnet a call and see what they think, if not I guess I'll be back to Skys chatbot!

Cheers

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@stokesy1001 

Just to clarify - when you say "Fibre" do you mean FTTC or Full Fibre (FTTP)?

Brian

stokesy1001

@bmc FTTP, I believe, I won't pretend to know too much about the difference between the two..

@MisterW Just got off the phone with Sky who have reverted the cease order...had no idea it would be that simple! Will plusnet see that update or shall I give them a nudge over the phone to let them know?

Cheers

Tom

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

FTTP, I believe, I won't pretend to know too much about the difference between the two..

FTTC - fibre to the cabinet (a green roadside box somewhere not too far from you); speeds up the link from the exchange, but the last part of the connection to your house - for broadband and 'phone - uses the original copper wire. Confusingly, called "fibre" by many in the industry.

FTTP - fibre to the premises: actual fibre all the way to your home. Involves a new hole in your wall, and a different piece of equipment (O something - OTC is it?) on the end of it, which you'll use with your existing router (if a hub 2; not sure about earlier models). Called "full fibre" - the "full" is important - by many in the industry. You won't get any landline 'phone service over such a connection; not sure if you can keep that over the old connection (pretty sure you can't with PlusNet at least, as any change, as opposed to continuation, they remove the landline part, and changing to FTTP certainly counts as a change). [With PlusNet, start looking into VoIP with someone else - such as A&A or voipfone - anyway, assuming you want to keep a landline-like service at all; many people don't. Really only needed if you have lots of people - elderly relatives or some elderly companies! - who only know your old landline number, and don't use a mobile much.]

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

or shall I give them a nudge over the phone to let them know

@stokesy1001 I'd give them a nudge and check that they're resubitting the order

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@stokesy1001 

You can login to your PlusNet portal and confirm FTTP by looking at the Order page. If it says Full Fibre that's FTTP.

There is a world of difference between the two. FTTP results in a fibre optic cable being run all the way to your house, bypassing the copper cable (and cabinet) completely. You could actually run your Sky service and the PN Full Fibre side by side.

An box (CSP) is installed on the outside wall and the fibre is then brought into the house. Sometimes they use the original copper entry, sometimes the drill a new hole. Once inside it is connected to an Optical Network Terminator (ONT). This needs a power source. The router is connected via an ethernet cable so can go anywhere you're happy to run cable.

There is a certain leeway as to where the ONT goes - to be discussed with the installer on the day. If you're served by an overhead cable you could ask for the copper cable to be removed.

Brian

stokesy1001

@bmc Full Fibre indeed, thank you for the explanations Smiley

@MisterW All sorted, thank you!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@stokesy1001 glad you're sorted.

I has assumed that it was Full fibre from the initial post regarding an engineer visit. A visit would not have been required for FTTC/SoGEA. I perhaps should have confirmed that earlier but it seems my assumptions were correct anyway.

bmc
Hero

@stokesy1001 

FYI the Ont will look something like the follwing though it may be a newer model.

https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT

Brian