Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Query

Tykebike
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Home Network Query

I have a number of devices on my home network served by my Plusnet router. The computers that I wish to share files between are:

Macbook Pro Big Sur connected via 5G option

Mac Mini Sonoma connected via 5G

Dell XPS 8300 Windows 10 connected via Ethernet

Dell Optiplex 3080 Windows 10 connected via 2.4G option

Dell Inspiron 5330 Windows 11 connected to 5G option

I can transfer files between the macs and to the XPS and Inspiron using smb.

I cannot connect to the Optiplex either via smb for the Macs or from the other Dells, is this because being on 2.4G it is effectively on another network? I've tried to connect it to the 5G option but for some reason without success.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 428

Re: Home Network Query

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Router 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

IMM
Rising Star

Is the Optiplex network profile set to private?

Tykebike
Grafter

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay which was due to a power cut.

To answer your question yes it is set to private

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Tykebike 

On your home network have you set designated IP addresses for each one and are you using PN DNS servers?

I have recently had similar problems on WiFi where connection/sharing was not functioning correctly so I ran the trouble shooter. the error received was "The computer appears to be configured correctly but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding".

I reverted back to obtain IP and DNS automatically and the three on WiFi are talking to each other, the other computer is on ethernet and so far not talking.

Tykebike
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll have to study your reply and work out how to check it out as it's such a long time since I set them up from scratch

This morning I thought that I would put a Hub2 into service to see if that solved the problem. It came when I renewed my contract a few years ago and I did try it but reverted to Hub1 when I couldn't get it working. Well the same thing happened this morning and I finished up with James on the help line who went through all sorts of checks without success. I then suggested going back to Hub1 and after a bit of coaxing it did allow me to access the internet. So we concluded that Hub2 was defunct and he's arranged for a new one to be sent out.

He did answer a couple of my questions that gave rise to me trying Hub2 in that one of my new to me PC's will not connect using 5G but the new to me laptop will - he said that some PC's will not connect to 5G. He also confirmed that file sharing between devices on the same network is not dependent on if they are on different frequencies so further investigation on my part will continue and I will follow up on your advice.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Tykebike 

Control Panel, Network & Internet, Network & Sharing Centre, Change adapter settings, Right Click then Properties, IPv4 properties if set change both to obtain automatically.

Hope that helps and jogs the memory

Tykebike
Grafter

Thanks for the pointer, they were both set to obtain automatically.