cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to force my TV into 5GHZ

BritishWitness

Need to force my TV into 5GHZ

Hi,

I have a Hub 2 and my TV every week or so drops into the 2ghz network, which then means it can’t stream anything and constantly buffers.

If I turn the WiFi the on my Sony TV off and on again, it reconnects to 5GHZ and works fine for a week again until it again one day switches to 2ghz. It’s a bit tedious having to do this all the time.

The router isn’t that far from the TV so I can’t see how the signal would be weak enough to need 2ghz. I can’t wire it in with an Ethernet cable due to the layout of the room.

I need a way to tell my router to keep the TV on 5GHZ. I’ve read the hub 2 can’t split the SSID, so how else can I do this?

Many thanks for any solutions
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 428

Re: Need to force my TV into 5GHZ

@BritishWitness  Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

Options that come to mind in no particular order:

1. Switch off the hub 2.4Ghz Band. May cause problems with other devices.

2. Leave the TV swiched on at the wall and on standby might work.

3. Buy a different hub with separable 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

4. Buy a WiFi extender with on/off control of the two bands, leave the 2.4GHz band switched off.

5. Use a pair of Powerline units to interconnect the two by Ethernet.

If you need further advice on any please just ask.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Need to force my TV into 5GHZ

@BritishWitness 

It could be the 2.4GHz wireless spectrum is congested due to the number of other devices sharing the same frequency range, some can be invisible to you but the are still there.

Many devices using the same wireless channels will result in a poor connection due to poor signal quality, the Hubs has 'Smart' wireless but it does not always select the quietest channel. This Hub can only use channels 1, 6 or 11. This is to prevent channel overlap.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 082711.png

For 2.4GHz only you could try using different channels to see if the slowness goes away, I would suggest the powerline option as some some wireless extenders them self rely on a strong wireless signal.

You could look at the Hub Two log file to see if the TV is repeatedly dropping the connection

From the home page navigate to >Advanced settings  >Technical log >Events >>Select category WiFi

You will see entries like

20:34:26, 07 Mar. 5G Client associate from 4c:bc:e9:fe:4c:72 (IP=192.168.10.125) RSSI=-65, Rate=780Mbps, host LGwebOSTV

RSSI=-65 is the signal strength the lower the number the stronger the signal.

HTH