cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Gaming and Sharing Help

zwestwood97

Port Forwarding Gaming and Sharing Help

Hi there, I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I recently moved home and the house I am in has a AlienDVR. I have found online that I need to set the device up in my Hub Manager and so I am following the following instructions online to forwarding the DVR to hopefully my phone.

http://aliendvr.com/m/support/howto/networkrouter.html

I have managed to follow steps 1 - 8 creating a new port forwarding rule, although the UPnP doesn't have a green tick next to it (I'm not sure if this is needed or how to get it to appear). But I am stuck on step 8 where I have to configure the games and application sharing. Could someone please tell where I can find this or what the PlusNet equivalent to this is please. 

I have a Plusnet Hub Two if this is needed for set up.

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Port Forwarding Gaming and Sharing Help

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

You are forwarding Internet traffic to your DVR, not DVR traffic to your phone.

The equivalent section in the Hub Two Manager is located under Advanced settings > Firewall (enter hub admin password) > Port forwarding

You need to enter each rule indvidually and then save it, selecting the DVR from the device drop down.

Do you know how you're then expected to access the DVR remotely? Is it via an app, or some other mechanism?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Those instructions don't really relate to the hub2 - you just need to create the forwarding rule show it shows on the screen below.

CleanShot 2023-08-22 at 12.14.12@2x.png

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
zwestwood97

Hi, that is the page I have used to add the rules within the instructions. But I am not sure on what to do next

zwestwood97

Hi, oh right thank you for clarifying - I really don't know anything about this!

Yes this is what I have done. It will be monitored via a mobile app. It works when I am at home connected to my WiFi but if I leave the house and join someone else's WiFi or 4G/5G it doesn't work

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

When you are away from home you have to use the public address of your broadband connection, the port forward rules are in place to pass Alien DVR app connection requests to to DVR device.

You need to investigate if you can use DDNS or a IP Address for remote connections.

DDNS is required when you have a dynamic IP Address or if you can use an IP Address request a fixed public IP from plusnet at a one of cost of £5.00

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

When you are away from home you have to use the public address of your broadband connection

@zwestwood97  try this website https://whatismyipaddress.com/  to get your public IP address and hostname

click on your IPv4 address, and that site will show you your Plusnet hostname.

Try using that hostname as the URL to access your network when you are away from home or using 4G/5G.

If that doesn't work try the numeric IPv4 address, but be aware that you probably have a dynamic IP address that will change over time (until you get a static IP address, or use DDNS as @Dan_the_Van  previously suggested)