Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN on homehub 2

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: VPN on homehub 2

Then what I was thinking about wont work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brid1965
Dabbler

i do have powerline adapters so it can be wired

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Ok, I was thinking about one of these https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/#specifications

They're reasonably cheap circa £45  and according to the specs will give around 20Mb OpenVPN. You'd need to do a fair amount of configuration both on the ER605 (to avoid a subnet address clash) and the Hub2 (port forwarding) but it MIGHT work.

NB beware homeplugs if theyre on different electrical circuits will not give good throughput

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brid1965
Dabbler

Well i thought i'd risk it and bought the AX55....

It has a facility to choose which devices you want to route through the vpn and the others can go directly through your traditional public IP at the same time which is perfect for my needs regarless of the vpn been on or not.

Speed wise it's not the best but far from been the worst....

Broadband speed at the router 72mbps ....

TV using the vpn (upstairs about 30ft away with 1 brick wall) connected via 2.4G wifi speed 25-30mbps, though powerlines 35-40mbps.

Using my laptop in the same room as the TV on 5G wifi i get speeds of 65-70mbps, with the laptop connected to the vpn on 5G i get speeds of between 45 and 50mbps.

So all in all i'm fairly happy with the speed at the TV, easilly fast enough to run in 1080p which was my aim and can just about cover 4K with the occassional buffer.