cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Info On This Super Fast Product For South Yorks

paulatkinson
Dabbler

Re: Any Info On This Super Fast Product For South Yorks

Well the person who does use use the Thales network is going to be happy with a guaranteed 25Mb and above download speed  Embarrassed

No slow downs due to BT openreach congested network  Huh

Its just a shame Plus.net arent independent anymore, like they were in 2002 when i joined Smiley  but things have to move on.
mal0z
Grafter

Just because your local loop to the exchange is 25MB, doesn;t mean you download speed from the internet will be the same. The ISP will need to connect to one of the major telecom networks, either BT, or someone else.
paulatkinson
Dabbler

I agree but i dont think they would spend 90million on the network only to have a dial up gateway to the internet  Huh
But the orange fibre optic cable did look expensive when it was layed  Grin
walkerx
Dabbler

I know this hasn't been updated for a while but as previously mentioned that PN won't be using the digitalregion network (they still haven't got any isp signed up) there shouldn't be any reason for them not to use the bt fibre connections when they come online.
Remember digitalregion network can only become active once BT activate the local exchange for ADSL2+. BT will not be installing new cabinets as they will use their current ones as many are already fibred. The DR network will place a cabinet nearby and link this to the BT network, so in theory they are using BT for a lot of the backbone.
If I remember correctly I'm sure plusnet became part of the BT corporation so it would be in their best interests to probably stay with BT.
If you want to know if you are going to be getting ADSL2+ in the near future and what speeds you could obtain then it is best to check http://www.bt.com/infinity
And as BT are opening their fibre channels to other ISP's then you may see Plusnet using the fibre connection.
regards
Walkerx
matt_2k34
Grafter

Its just a shame Plus.net arent independent anymore

The owner has changed. The brand, and how the company runs is the same.
BT has no real 'force' to which network PN uses. its just sensible for PN to stick with BT - it offers national coverage - and a competative price.
But will BT openreach fit their own equipment at the side of Thales FTTC

BT is upgrading the 'green cabinets' to FTTC - the infrastructure is there, its just being upgraded.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its a bit like a comment on another thread BT Inifinity - definition, an item that has no end
Quote fron the South Yorks site - the latest news
11th March 2010
Digital Region Superfast Broadband Network Update
Digital Region superfast broadband network is on schedule
Digital Region originally announced that its superfast broadband network would be available to potential users – be them business or residential – by March 2010.
The network build is on schedule and many areas in South Yorkshire already have the capability to connect and begin reaping the benefits of the guaranteed 25Mb service. The last stage of this process is for Internet Service Providers to sign up to provide the network capabilities to potential users.
Digital Region, along with our partner company Thales, are working tirelessly to ensure that potential users can gain connectivity as soon as possible, and advanced negotiations are taking place between ourselves and a number of Internet Service Providers. We hope and expect that this will be finalised in the very near future, and superfast broadband will become available to potential users.
We will continue to provide regular updates regarding this last stage via the Digital Region website.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking further at the list of signed up or interested ISP's - there arnt any
dino

This has been on one of my many 'Back Burners' for a while but has been brought back to the fore by cable laying a few streets away....I believe they are fibre optic cables for this initiative which seems about right as my area is scheduled  for go live in July. All this seems dependant on ISP's signing up to the scheme. Surely Digital Region have done their homework and must expect ISP's to sign up....where are they, who are they? As I stated I am a very satisfied PN customer.....but come on, this is a major development in this area and we as locals [both individuals and businesses] should support it to the maximum....
walkerx
Dabbler

DR state they have a couple of ISP's signed up for business but not for consumers, but their website has still not been updated.
I've spoken to one ISP from Rotherham who have signed up and hope to start consumer sign-ups in the next few weeks
There is a possibility of PN using this network in the future, as BT and Virgin are also in talks with DR,
Remember BT is not upgrading every exchange in South Yorkshire and may well end up using DR network as a viable cheaper option. This is the same for Virgin why new cable to provide a service when they can save money and just use the DR network. DR are acting as a wholesale provider similar to BT Wholesale
regards