Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer not turned up again!

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Engineer not turned up again!

Quote from: chenks76
so it IS an openreach issue, and it's openreach that need to fix the issue.

Plusnet could do more. Anyone that thinks Plusnet is doing everything in their power to ease the issues is just plain wrong. Yes Openreach need to fix the issues, but without even getting into what Openreach need to fix, Plusnet needs to do more.
That is why every time the distinction between Plusnet problems and Openreach problems is made, it only serves to focus attention away from what Plusnet needs to do to improve things.
Lets focus attention on the company that that the customer has the contract with. Let Plusnet take the heat. Maybe then Plusnet will be forced to improve things. Blaming Openreach is not helpful.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

letting the person complaining know where the problem has occurred is more useful IMO.
plusnet can't force openreach to do anything, just like any other ISP can't.
pressure needs to be put on openreach, and the best person to do that is the person who has the complaint.
speak to your MP/MSP (or whatever it is you have in your region), send email after email to openreach voice your complaints.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Please could you point me to the statistics published by Plusnet on the numbers of missed appointments. No? Then Plusnet are not doing all they could to improve the situation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chenks76
All Star

if they haven't published any stats then how do you know what they are doing either way?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

letting the person complaining know where the problem has occurred is more useful IMO.
plusnet can't force openreach to do anything, just like any other ISP can't.

Between the individual customers and Plusnet, who has more power to force Openreach to change? That is why Plusnet needs to take the heat for these failures.
chenks76
All Star

i would say the public has more power, as they can lobby MPs etc etc.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: jafreer
That is why Plusnet needs to take the heat for these failures.

What was the reason for the cancelled appointment here? Did Plusnet know about the change/cancellation of the appointment and let the end customer know in advance?
I've also never heard of an engineer phoning a customer and re-arranging an appointment.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I disagree. The ISP's have way more collective power against Openreach. Plusnet should be fighting harder to resolve these problems on behalf of their customers. The status quo is not acceptable.
The longer this distinction between what is an Openreach problem and what is a Plusnet problem is maintained, the longer the customer will suffer. If the customer has a contract with Plusnet, and Plusnet fail to deliver, that is a Plusnet problem, and it is their responsibility to make it work. If that means lobbying for industry changes, then they should be fighting tooth and nail for that.
I know of few other scenarios where such a distinction is made. If you ordered and paid for replacement windows, and the company then started blaming their supplier because you didn't get your windows, I doubt you would be too pleased when people started trying to educate you that the window manufacturer was to blame - you just want your windows installed - and the company you paid your money to need to sort it.
chenks76
All Star

I know of few other scenarios where such a distinction is made. If you ordered and paid for replacement windows, and the company then started blaming their supplier because you didn't get your windows, I doubt you would be too pleased when people started trying to educate you that the window manufacturer was to blame - you just want your windows installed - and the company you paid your money to need to sort it.

that's not the same thing at all.
the person you are buying the windows from can choose any supplier they want, but plusnet have no option but to use openreach.
openreach own and maintain what can only be deemed as a public service - they are accountable to the public.
you'll see in the (Scottish) news today about the isle of Skye where the public have done just what i suggest and complained direct to openreach.
end result is that they are visiting Skye today to have a public meeting to move things forward.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

that's not the same thing at all.
the person you are buying the windows from can choose any supplier they want

That is not the point. The point is that when they fail to deliver, highlighting that the issue is with the supplier is of no help to the customer and does not serve to help place pressure on the company to fix the problem.
The point is that these issues need to be seen as Plusnet failings (same goes for other ISP's). As pressure builds up on the ISP, they will have more incentive to work harder/lobby harder, whatever it takes.
The ISP's are best placed to put pressure on Openreach - and I don't see that happening.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

When I switched from asdl to fibre I was given a date for when the engineer would call and I got a call from the engineer the day before to confirm that he would be calling, which he did and made the necessary changes.
He also gave me a card with a phone number on it and advised me to contact him directly if there was any problem with my broadband.
I would add that the engineer was a contractor working on behalf of openreach and I had a interesting conversation with him regarding the work he and other contractors did for openreach and it seems they only get paid if the connection is set up correctly and there had been situations where broadband was being set up for a business only for it to be discovered the existing wiring was unsuitable which resulted in a none paid job along with a dissatisfied customer.
I have no idea if openreach use contractors in all areas but no doubt it is a cheaper option for them but equally if a few jobs resulted in no pay I could see why they might cease to do further work for openreach, giving little or no notice, thus causing no show situations for customers on their allocated list ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
chenks76
All Star

That is not the point. The point is that when they fail to deliver, highlighting that the issue is with the supplier is of no help to the customer and does not serve to help place pressure on the company to fix the problem.
The point is that these issues need to be seen as Plusnet failings (same goes for other ISP's). As pressure builds up on the ISP, they will have more incentive to work harder/lobby harder, whatever it takes.
The ISP's are best placed to put pressure on Openreach - and I don't see that happening.

i disagree with your stance, and will continue to do so.
dsluk
Grafter

I'd love to know how Plusnet can charge £50 if we, the customer miss, or cancel (within a set timescale) an Openreach appointment, yet there does not appear to be an automatic credit of £50 when Openreach fail to attend/cancel.
chenks76
All Star

plusnet don't charge £50, it's openreach that chrage it.
mav:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet do get paid for missed appointments by OpenReach.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)