Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - New Network

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet - New Network

195.166.130.216 will likely be one of Plusnet's core routers that doesn't have an rDNS entry. It doesn't mean that your "usual" routing has changed onto the "new" network. Your routing will usually change and you'll usually end up on another gateway (all on the old network) if you drop your PPP session and then reconnect. Unless you are on a fixed IP address that will always change with a drop of PPP session.
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

OK - reset and first port of call is 195.166.130.193 and router gateway 195.166.130.193 - so that correlates. @gateway says ptn-bng02. So yes looks like 195.166.130.x is just failing to lookup as bng02 ...
Anotherone
Champion

Even if 195.166.130.216 isn't a core router and is a gateway (might have misinterpreted your tracert), the assumption that all 195.166.130.x are bng02 is not going to be correct.  You say 195.166.130.193 is ptn-bng02, but note there are bng gateways in ptw (telehouse west), ptn (telehouse north) & pcl (city lifeline) data centres. Eg. 195.166.130.195 seems to be ptw-bng02; 195.166.130.190 ptn-bng02; 195.166.130.150 pcl-bng02  but 195.166.130.130 seems to be pcl-bng01.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: aesmith
Quote from: Bob
I don't think there are plans to migrate 20CN/IPStream Connect users.

Does that imply keeping your existing Shared WMBC host links until the last exchange is finally upgraded?  Some don't even have planned dates.  In a cynical mood, does this mean that we as 20CN users can look forward to more contention and oversubscription as Plusnet cuts back on their Shared bandwidth?

20cn users cannot be moved to it as its a separate platform.
For this reason it also shouldnt affect whatever capacity is allocated to 20cn as well.
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: G3WYP
I received a Txt message yesterday evening informing me that my broadband order had been completed! I had not changed anything.

I believe this problem was fixed yesterday so people shouldn't be sent spurious text messages any more. If anyone spies any further instances then give me a nudge.

I had 2 such messages today, but I can see no tickets on the account and haven't requested any changes......
summers
Aspiring Pro

Anotherone: Yes you are probably right.
But I'd have always though that gateways are routers. E.g. why connect to a machine that isn't routing - it doesn't help the network in any way. However I would expect gateways/routers to have many ethernets ports. Many downstream, and at least one, maybe many upstream. Now each ethernet port would have a different number. So this maybe explain why some ports have names, but on other ports they don't both with rDNS.
Yes - do have to wonder what plusnet central network looks like. I guess with enough traceroutes, you could slowly plot it out. Then again, maybe a member of staff would tell us Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Quote from: Bud
Quote from: G3WYP
I received a Txt message yesterday evening informing me that my broadband order had been completed! I had not changed anything.

I believe this problem was fixed yesterday so people shouldn't be sent spurious text messages any more. If anyone spies any further instances then give me a nudge.

I had 2 such messages today, but I can see no tickets on the account and haven't requested any changes......

It doesn't look like the fix was successful Sad
Having said that, I can't see what would have generated these texts to your number Huh
Are we talking about the mobile number ending '50'?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bud
Grafter

Yup, number ending in 50 I also notice my usage was reset around the time of the 2nd message
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Your billing date is the 27th, so that's to be expected. Your mobile is associated with more than one account but I can't see any recent orders on either (with the exception of a fault that was raised).
It doesn't look like the fix was successful Sad

We've since rolled a further (temporary) fix, so once again, shout up if you encounter any further instances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

elfish
Grafter

Are customers still being moved on to the new network?
Is it going from south to north? Is anyone in the north now on the new network?
summers
Aspiring Pro

Looks to me like the changes are going through slowly. So guess its a team (or one man) slowly going round exchanges, and plugging in new hardware. Wonder if we can contract a map of which exchanges have been updated ....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's no new exchange hardware involved, it's a configuration change.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Well i would have thought by now PN would have posted a update , to inform customers whats happening  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: HarryB
Quote from: jafreer
it won't be obvious to everybody when they've been moved i.e. you won't all see traceroutes like that ^

Will everyone be getting moved over Bob?

Yeah, I believe that's the intention. There's a *lot* of circuits to move though so it will take some time.

It will be fairly simple for some to tell because they'll see the routing change in outbound traceroutes. Not everybody will though, and for those folk the best clues you're likely to get are from checking the service notices/tickets on your account. (I /think/ that's still possible to do?). Other option is to ask a member of staff, but I strongly advise against that as it will detract from more important issues that need attending to - especially when our support folk are so busy.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Anotherone  Wink  yes but where do PN say they expect all customers to be moved by Date ??  no time scale ?? is it going to be detrimental or will it improve our connections ?
Bob Pullen says It will take some time  Huh  nowt specific there
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .