cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

I think it was about a year ago that a very small number of 589n v3 routers offered for testing were quickly snapped up.
There is now a 589vac model with ac wireless. There's also a 588v v2, which has the advantage over the 588v of not being in the same casing as the 582n. You can look at various technicolor models on the technicolor medialibrary.
mapletree
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
be nice to have just one box rather than 2

You can always buy your own VDSL router.  I probably will soon.
Quote from: mikko
I prefer to have 2 boxes - the modem by the socket near the front door and the router upstairs in a bedroom connected by homeplugs router to modem. That way i get wireless over the whole house from loft extension to downstairs rooms.

You could always turn off wifi on a all-in-one router and use a separate wifi access point.
hillyfields123
Grafter

This would be great when (or if) it happens! Would save me waiting for the OR engineer that never turned up!
AndyH
Grafter

You would still need an engineer to visit your cabinet - but he wouldn't need to come to your house.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: launton
Won't having a combined box cause DLM problems if people power down their boxes too often?

possibly, I think a dual box setup is superior.
I can reboot, flash the firmware etc. on my router without worrying about upsetting the sync.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
You would still need an engineer to visit your cabinet - but he wouldn't need to come to your house.

I'm aware, but surely if he's only working on the cabinet then they wouldn't need access and therefore I wouldn't need to be in for them?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So he works in the cabinet - everything seems OK - bye
Whoops you don't have broadband and/or phone because he didn't do it quite right and didn't come and check it was working
hillyfields123
Grafter

True that Jim!
Still frustrating when engineers are just too lazy to turn up!
Paul
AndyH
Grafter

I'm not sure it's laziness.
They are allocated X installs a day and some of them overrun due to a variety of issues. My install took longer than expected so the engineer was unable to go to the next scheduled appointment.
hillyfields123
Grafter

I've heard stories of engineers not bothering to complete their last job of the day because they can't be bothered to drive out there so instead they head home for a well earned rest.
I don't wanna flame BTOR but their service seems to not be brilliant in (from what I've read) a large number of cases.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It's our job to do all we can from our side to minimise these cases as much as we possibly can from our side really.
From personal experience every single time I have had an engineer from Openreach or Kelly, they have been fantastic. So I like to think that the negative experiences are always a lot more publicised in comparison to the positive ones.

adie:quote
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: MattyC
From personal experience every single time I have had an engineer from Openreach or Kelly, they have been fantastic. So I like to think that the negative experiences are always a lot more prevalent, and publicised in comparison to the positive ones.
I don't think you meant to say that  Grin
AndyH
Grafter

I had a phone fault just after lunch yesterday. Reported it to our provider (Sky) and an engineer turned up literally 30 minutes later.
Now I know there are not too many stories like this, but the engineer said Openreach had a new system where if an engineer finishes his allocated jobs before the end of his shift, then they can be assigned other local faults/installs.
Our neighbour had his fibre installed and the engineer worked in the dark until around 20:00 to get him up and running. He even said he wouldn't get paid overtime for the work, but he wanted to complete the job for my neighbour.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: Oldjim
I don't think you meant to say that  Grin

Edited. Maybe I should start going to bed earlier  Grin
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

MattyC it's the quality of the engineer.  My recent two visits should have just been one visit, if the first engineer had bothered to do what he said he would and check my cabinet.  The amount of corrosion the second engineer described doesn't happen in two weeks, especially with the good weather we have had for the last month.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November