cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 settings to remotely access sansco 16 channel DVR

seeker
Dabbler

Hub 2 settings to remotely access sansco 16 channel DVR

Hi everyone, can anyone help me in setting up remote access to my CCTV DVR? I now have a plusnet hub 2 and a Sansco DVR with a cat 5 cable between the hub and DVR. Some years ago i had a different router and a different Chinese DVR which someone cleverer than me set up for me to access remotely using a phone app called nviewer. I'm now in a position where I need to start from scratch and my clever friend is no more. Hence is any kind person able to lead me through what to do step by step and in simple English to be able to look at the cameras while out please? 

19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Hub 2 settings to remotely access sansco 16 channel DVR

@seeker from what I can see here https://www.isansco.com/Producty/show/id/46/asdownload/1.html the DVR uses a client/server mechanism for remote viewing. If that's the case then you shouldnt need to make any settings on the Hub 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seeker
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply.. I will have a go when I get home later. Fingers crossed.☺️👍

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From what I have read the default server port and HTTP port numbers for Sansco products are 8000 and 80 so I would have thought a rule would need to be set up on the router?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

so I would have thought a rule would need to be set up on the router?

Why ? if its a client/server architecture then both the DVR and the client make outgoing connections to the server are are linked via that. In this case no rules are needed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seeker
Dabbler

I ran into problems trying to use Xmeye. I downloaded it to my android phone via Google and opened it. Following the instructions and using the phones reader to extract the DVR serial number from the DVR QR image the setup procedure allowed me to create an account but would not recognize the serial number. Then trying to input it manually I ended up locked out by xmeye. 

You tube search brought up a clip of a guy showing how to do it but I can't open the app as I'm locked out 😞. hopefully it's a timeout lock and I can try later. 

https://youtu.be/nRG-Y8abFcE?feature=shared 

catshill1
Rising Star

Why ? if its a client/server architecture then both the DVR and the client make outgoing connections to the server are are linked via that. In this case no rules are neede

Accessing the cameras/lan remotely would need an ingoing connection though. So either port forwarding /upnp or access through a vpn server.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Accessing the cameras/lan remotely would need an ingoing connection though.

No, not with a client/server situation. Both the camera and the client make a permanent connection to the server. So there's an established connection to allow traffic between the camera and the client. This way it avoids the need for port forwarding.

seeker
Dabbler

I'm becoming more and more confused. I don't see any mention of ports 8000 on the data page of my dvr. 192.168.1.209 shows up on the screen as the dvr address along with media port 34567 and port 80
seeker
Dabbler

I'm becoming more and more confused. I don't see any mention of ports 8000 on the data page of my dvr. 192.168.1.209 shows up on the screen as the dvr address along with media port 34567 and port 80 .
It's probably irrelevant to my problem but I used to have access to our village hall system (now defunct and using a different system and isp)
I'm no longer a trustee so can't refer but the external access was via xx.xxx.xxx.53:6200/htm/live.htm Which I guess had 6200 for the dvr port?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@seeker 

Can you view the cameras when connected to your local network; how with a PC using a browser, phone app or directly on the DVR with a screen, keyboard/mouse connected?

Are you looking to view the cameras when you are not at home?

It appears there is some kind of cloud login, have you created one. Does the DVR show the NAT status for on the page Info Version as connected?

seeker
Dabbler

I compiled a detailed answer to Dan but it doesn't seem to have uploaded.. To fill in a bit. I have the DVR connected to a local display screen and use the supplied mouse to access the DVR. I have a wired connection between the DVR and the hub 2 

I use a tablet over Wi-Fi link to the hub 2 and by typing in the DVR address on the tablet it produces a message unable to connect. 

Trying 192.168.1.254 takes me to the hub manager. My devices opens a screen with options to select connections and clicking on no. 1 which is the socket I plugged the connecting cable between dvr and router. I set the name and icon but I'm not confident to change other settings or what to change them to. Plus what is a rule for opening a port?

Sorry to sound obtuse but I'm struggling with this stuff.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

First things to consider:-

For internal connections on your network there would be no need for any firewall rules, firewall rules are between the internet and your home network to block unwanted intrusions.

There is no need to filter out bound traffic with a firewall, so any outbound connection will reach it's destination

Port forward rules are for connections coming from the internet which have to connect to a specific device on your home network.

With a brief read of documents using the link @MisterW supplied for your DVR there is an application XMeye which is required. 

Take a look at the attached which is the quick start guide.

catshill1
Rising Star

- Accessing the cameras/lan remotely would need an ingoing connection though.

No, not with a client/server situation. Both the camera and the client make a permanent connection to the server. So there's an established connection to allow traffic between the camera and the client. This way it avoids the need for port forwarding.

But that would only apply if the server were located outside of the lan. If the server/nvr/NAS was in a lan and you needed to access it remotely, you’d need a tunnel.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But that would only apply if the server were located outside of the lan. 

Which is what we are talking about here!