cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

123-reg email forwarding issue

RandJEngineer

123-reg email forwarding issue

Hi All, 

I can see other people have had a similar issue to this, but quite a while ago. 

A number of people are not receiving emails from me / they are bouncing back when I am sending them from 123-reg account which is forwarding from via a Force9 email address.

Any way of solving this?

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: 123-reg email forwarding issue

The key question is who are the recipients?

If Gmail, they ought to go ask why Gmail is fouling up their email experience.

You'll need to explain a bit more clearly your exact set up.  Anything involving email forwarding is invariably very messy if Gmail is involved and ought to be avoided.

The core issue is that Gmail has mandated non-mandatory email configurations on in-bound email services where the recipient is a free Gmail account user.  Such issues do not appear for those users paying for Gmail's services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Where are you sending the emails from?  Sending and receiving emails are two pretty much independent things.

From what you say, emails sent to you are going to 123-reg and then forwarded on to your Plusnet account.

What servers are you using to send email from you, which sounds to be where you're experiencing problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Talamat
Grafter

123-Reg has decided to get rid of the catch-all email forwarding.  You now have to set up a mailbox as a catch-all.  I would assume that they've set up all emails to be sent to their google email address, and 123 Reg's change has deleted all their forwarding setups.   Simple solution for them  will be to set up a single email forwarder to their address for the moment, and then jump ship to another provider when their renewal comes up.

RandJEngineer

Thanks all for the comments. I feel that this is something that needs chasing up with 123-reg.

Thanks again, James

WCRwebby

I have the same problem with messages being sent and 123 forwarding replies back to my Yahoo account. 123 Support claim it's Yahoo's SPF (something 123-reg messed up on their now paid-for mailboxes, which caused Gmail to reject emails).
I'm darn sure it's something wrong at 123-reg, rejecting emails with an adjusted reply to and sent from address.
It must be affecting many clients, but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.
How can the problem be with the other services?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Unless 123-reg have implemented SRS (Sender rewriting scheme), then any emails forwarded through them will possibly be rejected by the end recipient

See https://www.siteground.co.uk/blog/introducing-sender-rewrite-scheme/ for a good explanation of SRS

WCRwebby

It's the other way around.
123-reg forwards okay to my Yahoo account, but rejects emails from my Yahoo account if the Sent From and Reply To uses a 123-reg domain email name.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

OK, so does your 123 reg domain have an SPF record ? and if so does it include the  yahoo servers as an authorised sender ?

WCRwebby

No idea!
I'll ask them, but this system worked fine for years, until the Generation 2 was introduced last month.

The Gmail issue reported elsewhere was a 123-reg SPF omission which they fixed when we reported it to Support.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No idea!

Sorry but if you use your own domain to send email, you need to understand about SPF and DKIM,

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

At a guess, you didn’t have an spf record and everything was working ok (as it’s not mandatory). Gmail then started insisting on it when sending to their free accounts (which they shouldn’t as it is optional). You’ve raised that issue, so 123reg have added an spf record saying that only their Mail servers can send from your domains. Since you are also sending from yahoo servers, they should all be rejected/marked as spam as the server isn’t listed as being valid for your domain.

madbanana
Grafter

Appreciate you may now have fixed this, I had a similar issue with sending to Gmail using a 123reg domain.

You need to make sure your smtp server is set to use 123reg and not plusnet - otherwise some email will get rejected (without a bounce-back).